VX3 leupold

Kentucky

Hey, new here and glad that I found this website. I decided last year to but a rifle and scope that I thought would out shoot anything that I had ever owned. Not getting what I expected by a long shot. I bought a Savage 7 mag and mounted a leupold vx3 scope on it. The leupold has a BDC ring which is the first scope I have ever had with that feature. I sighted the rifle in for 250 zero and was punching a 3 in. bulls eye more often than not. I know that's not the tack driving shooting that most of you do bit I was tickled. Just out of curiosity I dialed the ring up to 400 yard and took some shots at a gallon jug that I had set up, couldn't touch it. Dialed the ring back to 250 and couldn't come anywhere close to bull. Should this scope go up and down on yardage like the ring says or do I need the " thump" after each movement like the old scopes.

No thumping is required. Before sending the scope back to Leupold, I would condition the turrets. Rotate both turrets from one stop to the other about 20 times. Then shoot the box test to see if the scope returns to zero.

Thank you Bruce, I had not heard of that. New rifle AND new scope, I don't know which way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.