Vortex vs. Zen-Ray

gaps

Is it me or do the Zen-Ray binoculars and spotting scope look just like the Vortex binos and spotter? Are they made by the same company and just rebranded? I have vortex products and really like them and just noticed zen-ray looks really similar.?.?

Zen rays are made in China and were reverse enginered off of Vortex HD Razor, which are made in Japan. There are some lens differences and sizes. So not made in the same place.

Thanks for the replies guys...now which products are are better? I really like the value that you get with vortex and you can't beat their warranty...I would really like to compare the two companies products against each other...anyone heard of head to head reviews? Thanks

Hi Gaps,

I have to admit that I am partial here. Our ZEN ED2 spotting scope is a great value with its $200 instant discount. If in doubt, simply get a set of each and compare them side by side. We carry full 30-day satisfaction guarrantee and lifetime warranty on our products.

If you visit Birdforum, one of the largest birding optics website on the internet, there are a lot of reviews and feedbacks on our optics.

Thanks

Charles

Without going into info that is in litigation, one could say that the Z_R ED2 and the Vortex Razor spotting scope are "almost" identical. The ZR's body is 1/2" shorter than the Vortex. Optically, side by side comparison of the two is identical. The Zen Ray is a very nice scope, and for its price, it's a steal! In fact the eyepieces of the two scopes can probably interchange. The protective cases are different with the ZR being very nice and functional. I cant comment on the Vortex's. I have no opinion on the binoculars.
Hope this helps.

It looks like ZR ED2 spotter just beat out Nikon EDG for resolution and brightness in latest Outdoor Life testing. ZEN ED2 has dielectric coating on the prism. Not sure if Vortex has similar coating.

Zen rays are made in China and were reverse enginered off of Vortex HD Razor, which are made in Japan. There are some lens differences and sizes. So not made in the same place.
none of the vortex products are made in japan,all vortex optics are made in china, as are the zen ray line.china has a few optics factories that have stepped up their quality and manufacturing control and are now making some decent binos and scopes.so far the highest quality chinese optics i've seen is vanguard.their endeavor ed binos are the clearest,brightest i've owned priced under 300.00. but all those vortex scopes everyone is excited about and buying are all made in china.

none of the vortex products are made in japan,all vortex optics are made in china, as are the zen ray line.

My Viper HS says it was made in the Phillipeans so all of their optics are not made in China. I also owned a pair of their Kaibab binoculars and they were clearly labeled as made in Japan.

+1. I just bought a Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 and it clearly says on the underside made in the Philippines.

Philippines does not have any glass manurfacturers there. So they will just import all the components from China or else where and assemble the binoculars there.

this is correct. basically,no matter what sticker ends up on vortex optics,they are still manufactured in shenzen china.i was a vortex pro staff shooter for 2 years and know all of this for a fact. on a different note, if these scopes were actually built from scratch in the phillipenes they would be of even less quality.

Bottom line is everything except the German stuff (Zeiss and S&B) are rice-a-roni.

Isn't World Class Manufacturing just amazing????:D

I wanna puke.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.