vortex scopes

ann brezinski

thoughts on the low end priced scopeds from them.going to mount on a 660 6.5 magnum for woods hunting deer.max range will be 150 yards.am looking at the 3 to 9 power ones.thanks for your time have a limited amount of money like 350 dollars max

thoughts on the low end priced scopeds from them.going to mount on a 660 6.5 magnum for woods hunting deer.max range will be 150 yards.am looking at the 3 to 9 power ones.thanks for your time have a limited amount of money like 350 dollars max
Get you a Burris Fullfield II or Fullfield E1. They are cheap and perform double or triple their value. Solid Optics, same warranty as Vortex, and the Fullfield II is 13 ozs which really is only beat by a couple of Leupold 3-9s that cost 5 times as much. You can pick up the regular fullfield II on Amazon for $145.00. Only difference between that and the E1 is the E1 has a grippier zoom and scope caps and is a tad bulkier and heavier.

They are made in the Phillipines as compared to China. I got a Signature scope for double the price from them though and it seems a bit better glass but is heavier, has less ring adjustment, and has been moved to China. The new Fullfield IV is China too.

I don't think the Vortex can compare at least until the Viper line which has similar glass at twice the price and less eye relief in my experience.

For a 3x9 hunting scope the Fullfield II has to be the best value out there. The bigger Fullfields are an awesome value too but the E1 is worth it over the Fullfield II for the side parallax and a $30.00 cost and slight weight difference.

Save the money for top of the line binocs, rangefinders, and spotters.

Except for perhaps a tiny advantage at dusk with a $1000.00 plus scope there is little point to use your money on expensive optics on each gun. Just go with the Burris.

Save the money for top of the line binocs, rangefinders, and spotters.

Now if you like to dial in I think its a bit more of an even match. The signature is a good dial in scope and better than the Viper I think. and the 2x10 is only about 350 and the 3-15 is about 500. However, they moved it to China along with the Fullfield IV.

Another great option at the edge of your range would be to look on ebay for a used Weaver Grandslam or Superslam. They are solid as a rock but heavier and the only scope in that range with LOW glass from Japan and would easily be $1000 scopes today. I'm not sure how Weaver does with their warranties now that they don't sell scopes.

Last edited:
For that price it's hard to go wrong, there are a few options with better glass but not with the warranty too. I'm happy enough with my diamondback. But make sure to get a new one, I've been told newer production (5yr) has slightly more durable coatings.

Sorry I'm going to concur and say I outgrew 3-9x40 quickly and found almost any other size hits my needs for every rifle I own. Regardless of brand or price range.
Take a look at a 3.5-10ish for that range. I think the diamondback comes in this with a 50mm objective that will be good for the low light of the woods and if it moves out into the open (different rifle, area, whatever) it would suit nicely.

Or conversely a 2-7x32 for the quick draw situations. My friend has one (not a vortex) and the eye box is very forgiving compared to his 3x9x40 same brand. But will reduce your low light usage.

But if the warranty isn't a concern look for a used nikon, they are cheap and glass is fantastic. I don't know anyone who has had an issue and tons of people around here have them. Likewise vintage tasco (super fine reticle, and quality for cheap) and I won't trade mine for anything, even though they are 3-9s lol

The Burris fullfield II is a better choice than the cheaper vortex but in your price range I would look at used scopes in the classifieds here. You can probably get a leupold vx 2 or 3 that's lightly used in the $3-350 range. I don't care for the short eye relief on the cheaper vortex.
I would just say that I think the Fullfield is underated and compares pretty good with the VX II at half the price. But you can't ever go wrong with the old Leupolds II or III.

Trust me when I say I know about wanting a great scope and can't afford it.Been there as many on this forum has as well.
wyrshunter1 knows what he is talking about.The Burris Fulfield is a good scope.The Leupolds have better glass but are a bit more.
Recently I went to ebay and found a Leupold vx 2 3-9x40 and looked to be in great shape and asking around 200.00. can't remember the exact price.
Check out ebay and our classifieds.

here is the one I looked at on ebay

Often see the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 x 44...right around 300 give or take 50 bucks when on sale. Probably going to be the V plex reticle which would still be perfect for the conditions you describe. I think I saw midway advertise it on sale recently.

IF the need is now....Seems the Vortex Diamondbacks, and Leupold VX-Freedom lines are probably among the tops in that price range. Otherwise like others said the used market would be the best way to get a slightly higher optic at your price range.

I would hesitate on anything less than their Diamondback line, I had one in the past and it performed well enough. I have the Crossfire II Hog Hunter and wish I wouldn't have paid full price for it. It does the job, but as others have mentioned there are other competitors in that price bracket that perform better. Build quality is also not great with the eye piece and battery housing being noticeably canted from the elevation turret and main tube. As far as budget scopes I have been more impressed with my Atibal and even the Athlon that I used to own. The latter has a bunch of offerings in the 2-12x range which are right at your budget. Others have mentioned Burris which are worth checking on as well but I don't have any experience with their entry level offerings.

I would hesitate on anything less than their Diamondback line, I had one in the past and it performed well enough. I have the Crossfire II Hog Hunter and wish I wouldn't have paid full price for it. It does the job, but as others have mentioned there are other competitors in that price bracket that perform better. Build quality is also not great with the eye piece and battery housing being noticeably canted from the elevation turret and main tube. As far as budget scopes I have been more impressed with my Atibal and even the Athlon that I used to own. The latter has a bunch of offerings in the 2-12x range which are right at your budget. Others have mentioned Burris which are worth checking on as well but I don't have any experience with their entry level offerings.
T
I recommend the Burris Fullfield as well. I like the E1 a bit better than the II.

Depends on what you are getting it in. Anything that has a Parallax the E1 is hands down better because of the side adjust. The glass is indentical in both.

I have both the 3 to 9 Fullfield II and the Fullfield E1s. I dont see the bigger scope caps or the grippier zoom being a huge advantage compared to the slightly lighter and more compact II. For example, the smooth edges of the low profile scope caps are better in a scabbard and its just a bit more compact with cleaner lines. You still have to remove the caps to sight it in and both track the same and easily to move so it makes little difference.

I should add that the biggest difference on the E1 is that on the Fullfield and Fullfield II from its introductin in the 70s that the whole eyepiece is turned on the zoom and the E1 it only turns the zoom ring. In practical function I dont see the difference as it works fine except for using pop up caps.

Last edited: