vortex scopes

I would have to agree with wyrshunter1 on the Burris for the price. I have Burris, Leupold, Nikon and Vortex scopes. You will pay more for the same quality in Vortex than Burris. I have a Burris Fullfield 3X- 9X on my Savage 99 in .308 and my Browning BLR in .243 and would not replace them.

I have a couple of Vortex Vipers and my only dislike in them is the magnification adjustment is very difficult to rotate to the point of losing focus on target or critter.
I would recommend visiting a sporting goods store and checking it out for yourself before purchasing.
I'll will be swapping these scopes out on my hunting rifles because of this.
IMHO

Get you a Burris Fullfield II or Fullfield E1. They are cheap and perform double or triple their value. Solid Optics, same warranty as Vortex, and the Fullfield II is 13 ozs which really is only beat by a couple of Leupold 3-9s that cost 5 times as much. You can pick up the regular fullfield II on Amazon for $145.00. Only difference between that and the E1 is the E1 has a grippier zoom and scope caps and is a tad bulkier and heavier.

They are made in the Phillipines as compared to China. I got a Signature scope for double the price from them though and it seems a bit better glass but is heavier, has less ring adjustment, and has been moved to China. The new Fullfield IV is China too.

I don't think the Vortex can compare at least until the Viper line which has similar glass at twice the price and less eye relief in my experience.

For a 3x9 hunting scope the Fullfield II has to be the best value out there. The bigger Fullfields are an awesome value too but the E1 is worth it over the Fullfield II for the side parallax and a $30.00 cost and slight weight difference.

Save the money for top of the line binocs, rangefinders, and spotters.

Except for perhaps a tiny advantage at dusk with a $1000.00 plus scope there is little point to use your money on expensive optics on each gun. Just go with the Burris.

Now if you like to dial in I think its a bit more of an even match. The signature is a good dial in scope and better than the Viper I think. and the 2x10 is only about 350 and the 3-15 is about 500. However, they moved it to China along with the Fullfield IV.

Another great option at the edge of your range would be to look on ebay for a used Weaver Grandslam or Superslam. They are solid as a rock but heavier and the only scope in that range with LOW glass from Japan and would easily be $1000 scopes today. I'm not sure how Weaver does with their warranties now that they don't sell scopes.

Bought a Weaver 1.5-6x28 mid 2020 on closeout & and it had 'flyspecs' on the glass reticle. Bushnell replaced it with a NIB 1-6x28 AR series. Both illuminated. The South Korea made Bushnell is better - brighter, bigger eyebox, better reticle.

Ime, you're 100% on about Burris, tho I didn't know they're mfrng some product in China. Philippines has a track record of quality optics.

I have used the Crossfire II on a number of 22lr, 17hmr and a ruger 223 bolt gun… they have been fine, they are what they are, but I really dont have any complaints…
There is absolutely no issue at all. Its just that the value ratio isn t there. The Burris at the same price or used VXII at slightly higher is double the scope. I have both a Diamondback, and Viper and I dont think Vortex catches up until the Viper Line and even then the eye relief and weight is better.

Warranty is the same on both. Difference is it seems like a lot of the lower end Vortex guys have to use it at least from the internet anecdotes. Maybe because the Burris Fullfield II is not made in China. I havent field tested my Vortexs much though. My dad likes his Chinese Diamondbacks.

I will stand by it. Order a Fullfield II off the big site for 142 today and return it if you don t like it hands down over the options you are talking about.

Bought a Weaver 1.5-6x28 mid 2020 on closeout & and it had 'flyspecs' on the glass reticle. Bushnell replaced it with a NIB 1-6x28 AR series. Both illuminated. The South Korea made Bushnell is better - brighter, bigger eyebox, better reticle.

Ime, you're 100% on about Burris, tho I didn't know they're mfrng some product in China. Philippines has a track record of quality optics.
The old Weaver Grandslams and Superslams are Japan LOW glass. They are heavy but solid and an incredible optical value for their ebay price. Particularly in the 6.5 x 20 Grand Slam or 4x20 SuperSlam. I dont usually think that a hunting scope over 12 or 14 power is worth it unless you are getting into mid or high end optics. But the Weaver is an exception. Its a $1000.00 scope for $400.00 if you can even find LOW glass in that range now.

Be careful on the Burris. I knew they had moved their new Fullfield IV line to China but they also moved their signature line. I got a signature 2 10 for a Tikka .270 for about 330.00 a couple months back and it seems great but I was disappointed to see the made in China.

The Fullfield II, E1, and Veracity lines are all still made in the Phillipines

I would also go with a Burris. I recently sent in a pair of slightly damaged binoculars that I bought in 1993 for repair. They sent me a brand new pair instead of fixing my old ones. I am very happy with the warranty service. The binoculars i sent them were damaged in a fall while Elk hunting. The ocular bell was bent. Other than that they worked fine. I just got tired of looking at the damaged bell.

Often see the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 x 44...right around 300 give or take 50 bucks when on sale. Probably going to be the V plex reticle which would still be perfect for the conditions you describe. I think I saw midway advertise it on sale recently.

IF the need is now....Seems the Vortex Diamondbacks, and Leupold VX-Freedom lines are probably among the tops in that price range. Otherwise like others said the used market would be the best way to get a slightly higher optic at your price range.
The Viper I picked up is a 4x16 that I got on black Friday for $240. Its eye relief is not very good. I put it on an .300 Win Mag Interarms Mauser that I picked up in a services trade. Made the mistake of trying a prone shot at a bad angle and about got knocked out and had an embarrassing case of scope eye for a week.

It was my fault and an extremely dumb rookie thing to do, but I got thinking that it would be easy to make the same mistake in a hunting situation being the lug head I am. I replaced it with a 3x9x50 Burris E1 after comparing the eye relief and seeing the Burris was at least an inch better.

I decided I liked the simplicity and weight of the 3x9 on a gun like that too. Maybe the 2.5x10 Viper doesn{t suffer from the eye relief issue for you and if so that seems like a really good value.

I have heard speculation that the Viper and Fullfield glass come from the same Phillipines factory. Who knows.

The Viper I picked up is a 4x16 that I got on black Friday for $240. Its eye relief is not very good. I put it on an .300 Win Mag Interarms Mauser that I picked up in a services trade. Made the mistake of trying a prone shot at a bad angle and about got knocked out and had an embarrassing case of scope eye for a week.

It was my fault and an extremely dumb rookie thing to do, but I got thinking that it would be easy to make the same mistake in a hunting situation being the lug head I am. I replaced it with a 3x9x50 Burris E1 after comparing the eye relief and seeing the Burris was at least an inch better.

I decided I liked the simplicity and weight of the 3x9 on a gun like that too. Maybe the 2.5x10 Viper doesn{t suffer from the eye relief issue for you and if so that seems like a really good value.

I have heard speculation that the Viper and Fullfield glass come from the same Phillipines factory. Who knows.
I have a Vortex Viper 4-16 HST on my 300 Win Mag Interarms Mauser and it seems to have plenty of eye relief. That was one of the things that I really liked about the scope. I might have got a factory defect, but it's not going back for that. To be fair only the action is still Interarms, and it is fairly heavy.

I have a Vortex Viper 4-16 HST on my 300 Win Mag Interarms Mauser and it seems to have plenty of eye relief. That was one of the things that I really liked about the scope. I might have got a factory defect, but it's not going back for that. To be fair only the action is still Interarms, and it is fairly heavy.
Maybe just the way it worked for me and my eyes. I think it had plenty. It was just dumb position I shot from and I had it dialed up. However, the Burris had a bit better listed eye relief and for me at least an inch better for me even when using equal magnifications.

Get you a Burris Fullfield II or Fullfield E1. They are cheap and perform double or triple their value. Solid Optics, same warranty as Vortex, and the Fullfield II is 13 ozs which really is only beat by a couple of Leupold 3-9s that cost 5 times as much. You can pick up the regular fullfield II on Amazon for $145.00. Only difference between that and the E1 is the E1 has a grippier zoom and scope caps and is a tad bulkier and heavier.

They are made in the Phillipines as compared to China. I got a Signature scope for double the price from them though and it seems a bit better glass but is heavier, has less ring adjustment, and has been moved to China. The new Fullfield IV is China too.

I don't think the Vortex can compare at least until the Viper line which has similar glass at twice the price and less eye relief in my experience.

For a 3x9 hunting scope the Fullfield II has to be the best value out there. The bigger Fullfields are an awesome value too but the E1 is worth it over the Fullfield II for the side parallax and a $30.00 cost and slight weight difference.

Except for perhaps a tiny advantage at dusk with a $1000.00 plus scope there is little point to use your money on expensive optics on each gun. Just go with the Burris.

Now if you like to dial in I think its a bit more of an even match. The signature is a good dial in scope and better than the Viper I think. and the 2x10 is only about 350 and the 3-15 is about 500. However, they moved it to China along with the Fullfield IV.

Another great option at the edge of your range would be to look on ebay for a used Weaver Grandslam or Superslam. They are solid as a rock but heavier and the only scope in that range with LOW glass from Japan and would easily be $1000 scopes today. I'm not sure how Weaver does with their warranties now that they don't sell scopes.
I have Fullfield II and a Signiture HD 3x15. Both are great scopes for the money. I sent in a 4x12x40 I have had for 40 years. I couldn't break loose the focus ring. I used channel locks on it (I was a kid). Broke loose but the cross hairs tilted. It sat in my closet all that time. I sent to Burris and they sent me back the Signature HD 3x15 scope. What a deal . I sent back an old scope before that one and the sent me back a new Fullfield II 4.5x14. great company ! Both look better to me than the couple Vortex Vipers I have. I like my Luepold's though.
I still have a 4x16x50x30mm and a 6x24x50x30mm Black Diamond Burris scopes. They are great.

Last edited:
thoughts on the low end priced scopeds from them.going to mount on a 660 6.5 magnum for woods hunting deer.max range will be 150 yards.am looking at the 3 to 9 power ones.thanks for your time have a limited amount of money like 350 dollars max
350 dollars will buy a used Leopold that will do anything you want v2 v3 some might turn their nose up at these but I've owned several and never had a problem and if you do they're guaranteed for life

I agree with the previous Burris E1 and Weaver suggestions (I really miss LOW Weavers...still have two) and would add the Bushnell Elite LOW scopes (I don't believe the new Elites are LOW except for the Elite Tactical line). I like the 30mm tube Burris E1 that is exclusive to Cabela's at $149.97. You can also still pick up a new in box Bushnell Elite 3500 3-9x50 DOA 600 reticle for $175 on everyone's favorite auction site. These are also LOW Japan scopes and weigh 17 ounces. I bought one for an intended lightweight 6.5C rifle I'm eyeing. Glass is as good as the Grand Slams... meaning excellent. People talk about the short eye relief on the old LOW Weavers and Bushnell Elites but I don't find them particularly short at all and it definitely wouldn't be an issue on a 6.5 mag

Recent Posts