Vortex Scope Question (1/2 MOA clicks)

JW74

Hello,
I was in looking at riffle optics today for my next project. Putting together a Remington 700 .308 with the Remington 700 sps varmint as the base gun. Anyway I have a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 FFP on my 6.5 Creedmoor and love the scope. I'm goping to stick with Voretx again. I was looking at the Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP today and it has everything I want, horus reticle as well. Only thing is that the elevation adjustment is 1/2 moa and windage is 1/4 moa.

My question; is the 1/2 moa elevation too coarse of an adjustment as opposed to 1/4 moa for punching paper and steel out to 1000 yards?

Thanks!
Joe

Hello,
I was in looking at riffle optics today for my next project. Putting together a Remington 700 .308 with the Remington 700 sps varmint as the base gun. Anyway I have a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 FFP on my 6.5 Creedmoor and love the scope. I'm goping to stick with Voretx again. I was looking at the Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP today and it has everything I want, horus reticle as well. Only thing is that the elevation adjustment is 1/2 moa and windage is 1/4 moa.

My question; is the 1/2 moa elevation too coarse of an adjustment as opposed to 1/4 moa for punching paper and steel out to 1000 yards?

Thanks!
Joe
I didn't like the 1/2moa adjustments. I think the idea was the shooter is supposed to use the Christmas tree style reticle instead of dialing and the dial was to get elevation faster. The reticle I had, xlr moa, was spread out too far to be useful for fine adjustments. The smaller centered vertical marks are 2moa and the vertical marks with the windage holds are 4moa. I went sold my xlr and picked up a viper pst

sub_vhs-lr_f_6-24x50_xlr_moa-t.jpg

I prefer the 1/2 MOA clicks out to 1000 yards because they are fast to get dialed and if I see I may need to split it I can adjust my hold a touch but I really never found to be an issue so I got to really liking the 24 MOA in one turn.

I did a little research and just got off the phone with Vortex. For $75 I could send in the scope and have the elevation turret replaced with one that has 1/4 MOA clicks. The reason I am considering this is that I located this scope currently on sale for $599. Hard to pass us that deal. Still need to think on it a little longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.