VORTEX RAZOR HD Spotting Scope Failure

I've put razors and Swaro side by side a number of times, bought the Razor. Of the guys I know who ran Swaro only one still does, all are running razors or NightForce.

Exact opposite with my crew, the razor is a *** when compared to the Swaro or Nightforce/Meopta. If you couldn't see the difference, I'd suggest getting your eyes checked.

OK, I'll be fair and update. I called Vortex and was told they were aware that it was a common problem with the "last shipment" (must have been a pretty big shipment), but all the new ones are tested in cold temps. Also they replace the whole scope because some people have forced the locked up eye pieces and damaged the internals. As usual, their customer service was excellent so I'll back down a little. The scope's going in the freezer as soon as it arrives though.
On another note, that scope has been replaced with a 27 - 60 that costs a lot more. Seems like not being able to go down to 20 power is a step backwards, but maybe that's just me.

The FOV remains the same because they went to a wide angle eye piece. That newest generation razor is on a different playing field than the previous generation according to everyone I've talked to that has compared both side by side.

Exact opposite with my crew, the razor is a *** when compared to the Swaro or Nightforce/Meopta. If you couldn't see the difference, I'd suggest getting your eyes checked.

Don't know what to say dude, when we put spotters out looking up on high ridges for sheep and I'm seeing sheep in one brand and trying to make them out in another it's not really hard to guess which one I'm using, sorry if you don't like that!!

OK another dumb question. The new scope arrived and the eye piece, unlike the first one, which went on VERY snug, is loose, obviously not snugging to the O ring. Moisture, while probably not getting to the internals, will get between eye piece and scope. Do any of you know if your eye piece wiggles noticeably? Any input would be appreciated.

OK another dumb question. The new scope arrived and the eye piece, unlike the first one, which went on VERY snug, is loose, obviously not snugging to the O ring. Moisture, while probably not getting to the internals, will get between eye piece and scope. Do any of you know if your eye piece wiggles noticeably? Any input would be appreciated.

Mine came back fitting snug. I got the same scope back with a new eyepiece.

Sure about that? This ain't a John Deere discussion....lol

Case in point, I'm having a Chinese manufacturer quote a CNC machined part for me that I buy in quantity and that is easier for me to sub out versus making it in shop.

I'm going to submit drawings and tolerances to machine and extrude to and I expect them to hold those tolerances. While I will inspect some of the parts (sample) for tolerance hold, I would expect all of them to be within specification without 100% inspection.... Key word...'expect'.

Conversely, it's been noted on forums (other than this one) related to manufacturing and machining, that the Chinese manufacturers, if not monitored closely, tend to get sloppy... Is that what happened here?

That is how it's done in the business world. JD is no different and neither is Vortex. I'm sure the 'sample' batch conformed but it's obvious that some amount was defective.

As the importer, Vortex is obligated to stand behind the defective parts, that is business and predicated on their warranty.

However, letting any defective units through (trusting their manufacturer to hold spec and they didn't), causes harm to Vortex in the form of bad press, something no business wants or needs.

I was going to buy one (I'm in the market for a medium to high end spotter), but I'm not now. I'm not taking the chance in as much as I've frozen 2 objectives from 2 spotters and I had a 50% failure rate. Simply, that is not acceptable and it's not good business practice.

I'm sure at this point, they know there is an issue, how they handle it will determine how they are perceived by their customers in the future. Keep in mind, it's a crowded playing field (optics) so missteps can be costly.

I/We have had many a product/skew made in china and if you dont provide your own inspectors and i mean on the ground making sure that all is well at all times during production.....quality in production will suffer greatly! This is not to say you might not have great luck the first few dozen or hundred but they will get sloppy its almost a GUARANTEE!!!!!!!!

There are people involved and most are vastly under paid not too mention that they have every day people issues times a hundred in china! There are LOTS of reasons that the quality of production can and will suffer if you are not on the ground making sure all is as described!

Bottom line is this....people from Vortex are great, nice folks but someone moved production to China cuz its cheaper and it has backfired!!!! My hunting group was getting ready to purchase a few spotters and rifle scopes when we found out about issues and have decided to go else where!

Also....IT DOES MATTER WHERE SOMETHING IS MADE AND MADE ACCORDING TO PRICE IM/WE ARE PAYING! Anybody that says a $2000 spotter made in china is as good as $2000 spotter made in Germany or Japan or Czech Republic even is NUTS!!!

If i would have found out that the Razor Spotters were made in China and i didnt know about the freezing issues i still would not have bought them! i wont buy a high end product that has been produced in china, period! Talk about asking for trouble and spending foolishly???!!!!!???

I have owned many a Vortex rifle scope and early spotter and LOVED THEM, but they were built the first few years they were in business and to be honest i just havnt liked the latter built stuff and now it makes sense!

I hope they figure this out but until im absolutely sure they have, I will not be spending my money with them. Their own fault, not mine!

Neighbors son saved his duckets for a year to buy the new version and he just sent it back as his eyepiece had issue as far as fit. When we looked at it it seemed like moisture was going to be an issue...period!

"Anybody that says a $2000 spotter made in china is as good as $2000 spotter made in Germany or Japan or Czech Republic even is NUTS!!!".....BUT....the trouble is this..

It CAN BE just as good or even BETTER...CAN BE...not "is" better. I stand behind the NAME on the product....not the location where its made

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.