VORTEX RAZOR HD Spotting Scope Failure

FEENIX

FYSA, for what it is worth. Got this from a local FB post and just sharing. Hopefully, you do not have the same issue or have it resolved ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/zv_Wvo9bV_I?t=1[/ame]

I recently bought a Razor HD 20-60 but have not had the chance to use it outside in the cold yet. So I put my eyepiece in the freezer and the magnification ring was frozen solid when I checked it about 40 minutes later. This is certainly an extreme environment so going to do some more tests tonight as temps start to drop. I'll certainly be sending this back if it freezes solid at temps anywhere north of about 20 degrees F.

Pretty obvious to me that they have an issue that needs addressed, pronto. One of my hunt buds just purchased one a month ago. His eyepiece is going in the freezer as well and I'll be updating this thread with the results....

I just jumped over to the Vortex website....

Interestingly, the scope is made in China of all places and also interestingly, Vortex lists no operating enviroment parameters anywhere on the website.

Most optics have specific operational enviroment parameters plainly spelled out on the manufacturers website.... There are none. That could lead to a warranty dispute or worse.

I'm gonna drop my friend's eyepiece in the freezer (along with my deer meat for a half hour and report the findings.

Would be a real PITA to have to keep the eyepiece in an inner pocket to keep it warm to use it. That don't sound at all right for a scope that lists for 2000 bucks.:rolleyes:

I don't remember where I've seen it but IIRC,

Razor=made in Japan including the glass.

Vipers=made in Japan including the glass (at least when it 1st came out). Some are now made/assembled somewhere in the south east Asia (China or Philippines).

Diamondbacks =made in Philippines, not sure of the glass.

I don't remember where I've seen it but IIRC,

Vipers=made in Japan including the glass (at least when it 1st came out). Some are now made/assembled somewhere in the south east Asia (China or Philippines).

Diamondbacks =made in Philippines, not sure of the glass.

Ed:

States plainly on their website under the Q&A section of the Razor HD spotter (20-60-80) straight, that it's made in China, a question posed by a customer and answered by a company (Vortex) rep.

I have two viper PST's and it states on the erector, on the bottom of each, 'Made in the Philippines, I've had them for a couple years now so that might have changed, not sure. I am sure I prefer the Philippines over China though.

I just (this summer) bought a Diamondback 4-16 side focus 1" tube for my Husky. I also states 'Made in the Philippines and on the Vortex site, again under Diamondback in the Q&A section, a customer asked where it was made and a company rep answered... Philippines....

Interesting that the Razor is made in China versus the Philippines for the rifle scopes.... I wonder if the Razor Riflescope is Chinese too???

I'd say like Leupold, glass comes from the lowest bidder so long as it meets the minimum requirements of Vortex.

I put my spotter outside this afternoon when it was about 40 degrees, it's 27 deg now and the ring is starting to lock up. It has a sticking point on 20x and ok when you rotate towards 60x. Doesn't seem to me to be a moisture turning to ice problem but hard to tell without taking it apart.

The three Vortex Razor spotters in our group have function fine even in 30 below weather, definitely stiffer but not even close to froze up.

Ed:

States plainly on their website under the Q&A section of the Razor HD spotter (20-60-80) straight, that it's made in China, a question posed by a customer and answered by a company (Vortex) rep.

I have two viper PST's and it states on the erector, on the bottom of each, 'Made in the Philippines, I've had them for a couple years now so that might have changed, not sure. I am sure I prefer the Philippines over China though.

I just (this summer) bought a Diamondback 4-16 side focus 1" tube for my Husky. I also states 'Made in the Philippines and on the Vortex site, again under Diamondback in the Q&A section, a customer asked where it was made and a company rep answered... Philippines....

Interesting that the Razor is made in China versus the Philippines for the rifle scopes.... I wonder if the Razor Riflescope is Chinese too???

I'd say like Leupold, glass comes from the lowest bidder so long as it meets the minimum requirements of Vortex.

YIKES!

It's 3 years old but here's where I saw it ...

quote_box.png
stickbow46 wrote:

GWTX ;have a little info you might be interested in reading.
Called Vortex & spoke to Sandy she was very pleasent & was kind enough to give me the following info:

Vipers=made in Japan including the glass.

Diamondbacks =made in Phillipines,not sure of the glass.

Hope this helped.

(vortex scopes made in ??? - The Optics Talk Forums)

22 degrees this morning and my eye piece magnification ring now starts sticking at 35x and can barely get it to 20x. Above 35x it just feels sticky. I'll test it again on a colder night to see if it locks up solid. But this was certainly not a quick change in temp, so makes me think the lube is freezing or the internal sliding surfaces are binding or a combo of both.

YIKES!

It's 3 years old but here's where I saw it ...

Ed: I'm not pulling them off the rifles to snap a picture of the bottom of the erector bulge to show everyone where thay are made, but it's certainly not Japan (Viper PST)...

What I'm suprised about is where the Razor is made..... China. China is well known for substandard products and I'm wondering where the Razor rifle scopes are made.

All the information I gleaned was right from the Vortex official website btw..... as well as the 'no information' about operating parameters.

Certainly, no issues with me concerning Vortex Optics but I would be (and am) concerned about their top of the mine stuff being made in China. For 2 grand (suggested retail) thare are a lot of other options out there....

Gotta get Tom's eyepiece in the freezer and see if it locks up yet......

I think differentiating the country of origin from the product is important when discussing something like this. Is this an engineering fault, or this the fault of an entire country's manufacturing? Without knowing, I think it is fairly biased to imply that the country of origin is the fault. Are there other options out there for manufacturing locations? Absolutely, but there may be a reason this spotting scope is only 2K instead of 3.5K like a Swaro. I've had goods from China, Philippines, Japan, and the USA fail, so I have a hard time saying that all those countries put out substandard products.

The good news is that Vortex does have an amazing warranty, and do take care of customers. I run 4 PSTs (which are made in Philippines, not Japan), and own a set of Viper HDs, and Vortex has won me over with the way they treat customers. If they do have an engineering flaw with cold weather, I'm sure they will take care of it. I think before we blame the country or the company though, we can wait and see how it plays out a bit more.

the vortex razor looks like its made in the same factory as zen ray. if you still have the old eye piece I would suggest carrying it in your pocket so it can pick up some body warmth.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.