Vortex Razor HD Light Weight Offering

For those of you that have both scopes, How would you compare the 3-15x42 Razor HD LH to the Leupold VX-6 3-18 with TMOA reticle?

In terms of optical clarity, accuracy of turrets and capability for a light weight long range scope?

For those of you that have both scopes, How would you compare the 3-15x42 Razor HD LH to the Leupold VX-6 3-18 with TMOA reticle?

In terms of optical clarity, accuracy of turrets and capability for a light weight long range scope?

The VX 6 was one Iv moved on. It was a competent scope but had a few to many things that I didnt like. The reticle was off and when set up level moved left as elevation was dialed in. The magnification ring was just too stiff and the elongated taper on the front bell limited mounting options unless you used a rail. The glass was good but a touch behind the Z5 Iv kept. It is a bigger heavier scope than the razor HD LH and is probably on the edge of what I would consider being comparable for purpose.

I had the two rifles/scopes out shooting again yesterday. I prefer my Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44mm over the Vortex Razor 3-15x42mm. If the purchase price were the same, I'd certainly purchase the Swaro model over the Vortex. But the Swaro costs about 85% more than the Vortex, and that's a lot of extra cost. 90% more after adding aftermarket turrets to the Swaro Z5.

I find the Swaro easier to get behind and the glass seems a tad better. I like the way the turrets reset to zero on my Swaro way better than the Vortex system. And I do like the 18x top power on the Swaro, compared to the maximum 15x on the Vortex, when shooting at targets during load development.

I have not performed any technical resolution comparisons on Harvard-approved test charts. My current assessment is based on looking at bullet holes on a target set up at 280yds down range and the treeline at 280yds.

I also have not yet compared their light transmission, side by side. Doesn't get dark here till after 11:00pm this time of the year.

Given the price difference I was wondering if this was actually a fair comparison but Iv been impressed with how the vortex stacked up given its a touch over half the price of the Swaro. The lack of zero stop dosn't concern me at all and it has the added benefit of more dial up than the 13.25 moa the Z5 offers. With capped turrets i will use the reticle 90% of the time.

The lack of zero stop dosn't concern me at all and it has the added benefit of more dial up than the 13.25 moa the Z5 offers.

My Z5 doesn't have the zero stop your Z5 has. So I wasn't referring to a scope with a zero stop feature. I'm talking about resetting the scope turrets to the "0" marked on the turrets after sighting in the rifle, or after any time a change in POI requires the scope turrets to be re-set to the "0" mark. With my Swaro Z5, I pull out on the turrets, rotate to the "0" mark, and then push the turret back down. With the Vortex, I have to find a coin, screwdriver, or the rim of a casing to unscrew the retaining screw keeping the turret attached to the scope. After rotating the screw about 3 turns, the retaining screw is removed, the turret is pulled up, rotated, and then shoved back down when aligned with the "0" marking on the turret. Then the retaining screw is placed back atop the turret and turned 3 rotations until snugly tightened again. The difference in time? 5 seconds on my Swaro. 4-5 minutes on the Vortex - after I find a tool that won't bugger up the slot in the head of the retaining screw.

Ah yes I see where your comming from. I didnt give that a lot of consideration as generally Im not adjusting the zero very often. I have a disc I cut from some heavy plastic that I use for removing the dial to reset.

Given the price difference I was wondering if this was actually a fair comparison but I've been impressed with how the vortex stacked up given it's a touch over half the price of the Swaro Z5.

Yeah, one can hardly miss or overlook the difference in cost. My thoughts on comparison of the two scopes was that the Swaro Z5 3.5-18X44 is one of the very few other lightweight scopes in a comparable 5X zoom power range that could be expected to have high quality glass, for purposes of comparison with this Vortex model. This 3-15x42mm Vortex scope is labeled Razor with HD lenses, which implied to me it would perform near the top of the pack of the Vortex line of scopes - optically. I knew the scope was Plain-Jane with respect to some of the features found on other more costly scopes designed for turret twisters and long range hunting. But so is the Swaro Z5.

My comparison is what it is. So far, I prefer the glass and optics in my Swaro Z5 - more than a tiny bit. The only remaining issue - at what additional cost? Only the buyers laying down the cash can resolve this issue. At what point is good enough good enough, and at what additional cost?

phorwath,
thanks for the review. very informative. really like that yawn has some feedback too. I just purchased a vx6 3-18× 44 mm 2 turn zero stop with TMOA reticle for my 280AI. was very close to getting the z5 but had a hard time choosing it over my past experiences with leupold. but I will see how this scope works out if it doesn't I think the z5 will be next on this rifle. it would save me about 3 oz too. or might just get one for my 300wsm. both of these are my lighter hunting rifles under 8# ready to hunt. I wondered if the new vortex would match up against the z5 it's pretty nice scope. sounds like just have to justify it to oneself

My comparison is what it is. So far, I prefer the glass and optics in my Swaro Z5 - more than a tiny bit. The only remaining issue - at what additional cost? Only the buyers laying down the cash can resolve this issue. At what point is good enough good enough, and at what additional cost?

Yes , hard to argue with that.
Throw in the vagaries of unit to unit disparities and differing eye sight/preferences and it really is a personal choice.

Great thread. I'm new to the forum, so bear with me on the longer post.

The wife purchased a Cooper 92 in 6.5x284 for me last week (she's mine and you can't have her...the wife that is) and for the last week I've been debating about what glass would befit a rifle of this nature. Extremely light but long range capable. I'm having a hard time finding that balance and naturally found the Swaro Z5. Its a bit of an anomaly.

Specifically I'm very happy to see Fawn and Phorwath comparing the Z5 direct to this new Vortex Razor HD LH scope. Very good to see apple to apple comparisons. As many have said, it comes down to $ and what you're willing to be happy with. On a gun that is used strictly for hunting, maybe that Razor is perfect. But if you want to double duty and get a long range play toy out of it as well? The decision is pretty tough... Especially when we just dropped the $$ on the Cooper. (Yes I know it was a gift...but the $ didn't come only from her checking acct...)

The gun will be mainly a hunter, but I also want the ability to utilize the 6.5x284 ability to shoot long range, so 1000 yards may not be out of the question. Maybe I have something now that will keep up with my competition shooter cousin's dasher... (haha...not likely)

Ease of looking through the glass plays high on my list as well.

I have a Z5 Swaro 5-25 with the Ballistic Turrets priced out at $1574 right now at CameralandNY or the non BT for $1529. I was really looking for the larger range due to the gun and caliber. The 3-18 is slightly less, $1483 and $1394. (10% off sale right now and I've purchased with them in the past)

Then I found this RAZOR HD LH. Seems to fit the bill and much less $$. I haven't called CamerlandNY about it yet, but I know they have sales on Vortex as much as 25% or more. I purchased a Vortex PST FFP EBR2C with them for 25% off previously ($712 vs. $950). I think the markup/wiggle room on Vortex is much greater so they are able to offer a better sale or else the company just allows better discounts? Who knows. Maybe they have this scope at 25% off as well right now? 25% would be $675 vs. $899 retail. About 1/2 price of the Swaro.

Also, 6point5x284, we need to get together on a PD shoot. Its what I live for. I have to travel 3 hours to get to my first dog, so meeting up in MT is not an issue. ;-)

Last edited:
Also, I want to thank Timber 338 for your review of the Razor next to the Viper HS. Great to hear clarity review in the way you did it (page 8 of the thread.) Thank you!

So a few weeks has passed, and I got a great deal on the Swarovski z5 5-25x52 with the 4W reticle. But then I was at Scheels talking with my friend who works there about the razor HD LH, which is what I'd like to purchase for my prairie dog 223 instead of continuing to wait for the PST in EBR2c reticle (has been in order for 5 months). He said let's look through Scheels inventory. He found one in UT, I purchased it and had it delivered in 4 days. It was $799, which is less than the $899 I see online everywhere.

So now I have the 2 scopes to compare directly to. I also have a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 and a Bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16.

I really need to figure out a way to compare directly and not be biased, but to have concrete evidence on the glass.

First off, all of the other scopes have amazing glass. When you look through them, the amount of sky light is the same in as out of the scope. It doesn't look darker. I have noticed that when j look at pine needles on a tree 120 yards away, I can make out pine needles at 15x easily. Everything seems crisp.

But then I look through the Swaro. I turned it down to 15x for similar comparison. It literally looks brighter than the setting sun dusk. And the needles are very crisp. I can count them on each bough. At 25 I can see texture on them. At dusk!!

Honestly hard to say why people knock that Swaro! Yes it's 2x as costly. But the eyebox is almost worth the cost right there. On paper they are almost the same 3.8" relief, but the Swaro is as easy to look through as an ACOG. The glass on the razor, 6500, and HD5 are all pretty similar in my eyes. But they are all roughly the same price range too: 6500: $600. Razor: $800, HD5: $900. The Swaro was $1500, btw, but could have been just over $1200 without Ballistic Turrets and this reticle. If apples: apples were compared, I don't think the price difference would be that bad. But the quality would be a pretty big jump.
Lindell

So a few weeks has passed, and I got a great deal on the Swarovski z5 5-25x52 with the 4W reticle. But then I was at Scheels talking with my friend who works there about the razor HD LH, which is what I'd like to purchase for my prairie dog 223 instead of continuing to wait for the PST in EBR2c reticle (has been in order for 5 months). He said let's look through Scheels inventory. He found one in UT, I purchased it and had it delivered in 4 days. It was $799, which is less than the $899 I see online everywhere.

So now I have the 2 scopes to compare directly to. I also have a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 and a Bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16.

I really need to figure out a way to compare directly and not be biased, but to have concrete evidence on the glass.

First off, all of the other scopes have amazing glass. When you look through them, the amount of sky light is the same in as out of the scope. It doesn't look darker. I have noticed that when j look at pine needles on a tree 120 yards away, I can make out pine needles at 15x easily. Everything seems crisp.

But then I look through the Swaro. I turned it down to 15x for similar comparison. It literally looks brighter than the setting sun dusk. And the needles are very crisp. I can count them on each bough. At 25 I can see texture on them. At dusk!!

Honestly hard to say why people knock that Swaro! Yes it's 2x as costly. But the eyebox is almost worth the cost right there. On paper they are almost the same 3.8" relief, but the Swaro is as easy to look through as an ACOG. The glass on the razor, 6500, and HD5 are all pretty similar in my eyes. But they are all roughly the same price range too: 6500: $600. Razor: $800, HD5: $900. The Swaro was $1500, btw, but could have been just over $1200 without Ballistic Turrets and this reticle. If apples: apples were compared, I don't think the price difference would be that bad. But the quality would be a pretty big jump.
Lindell

I didn't think my Swaro would outperform the Razor HD LH very notably. But the Swaro is a bit easier to get into, and seems better. I haven't studied them much more, but I may be able to during the next 10 days or so, on a hunting trip. If the weather's nice enough and there's some down time, I'll be able to compare them some more side by side.

It sounds like your Swaro is a step above the Razor, and now that makes three of us that reached a similar conclusion. And it should be, for the additional cost involved.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.