Vortex ranger 1000

Elite Muzzleloader

I'm in the market for a new range finder and checked allot of reviews. I've seen allot of good reviews on this range finder so I'm about ready to spend the money on this one. I have a Nikon Prostaff 550 that failed me during a recent antelope hunt because of heat waves however a friend of mine has a leica 1200 and his even had issues with heat waves. I realize that heat waves probably won't be an issue when it comes to deer hunting so I might have to just adapt some how when antelope hunting.

My question is, is there anyone who has the vortex rangefinder or used one and what their thoughts were about the finder.

I own the vortex 1000. It's not bad, to get it to read 1000 yards or more like some have posted, conditions, reflective surface, and stability have to be perfect. 600-700 yards is where this unit is consistent. I have got a reading once at 910 while holding it by hand. Other than that it should probably read Vortex-700 not Vortex-1000. If thats your range your shooting at then go for it; If you want readings past that then I would save up and spend more on something else. The Leica 1600 is a sweet unit!! we get readings past 1100 yards regardless of the reflective surface almost always on the first try.

Thanks for the replies guys. One thing I feel I should mention is I'm shooting a smokeless muzzleloader that is capable of shots to about 600 yards maybe farther. I just had a custom turret made for my rifle that will allow me to dial up to about 450 yards.

If the range finder is good to 600 then I feel it should be good for my purposes but what I really want to make sure is that it always reads at 600 on game for sure not just terrain. Thanks again for all your help.

600 on game seems to be right at its limits. If u put it on a tripod 600 on game should be no problem. If your looking for consistent 600 I would look elsewhere. Maybe a bushnell 1300

Most rangefinders are rated by their max reflective target distance, and typically you'll get about 60% of that on non-reflective stuff. I have the Vortex and it does a great job to at least 600. I've ranged trees past 900 before. I feel it's the best unit available until you get up into the Leica and Swaro stuff at twice the price. For longer ranging it definitely helps to use a rest or tripod.

odd, my leupold 600 seems to do 550-600 on critters all the time unless it's foggy/hazy. I guess I wouldn't get much going with the Vortex then...

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up with a Leupold RX-1000i TBR with DNA. I went to Scheels to look at the vortex and the Leupold was on sale for $299. The sales man said the Leupold was a better unit hands ddown, guess we'll see. I'll try to give an update after I've had time to test it in the field.

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up with a Leupold RX-1000i TBR with DNA. I went to Scheels to look at the vortex and the Leupold was on sale for $299. The sales man said the Leupold was a better unit hands ddown, guess we'll see. I'll try to give an update after I've had time to test it in the field.
I haven't gotten to range anything over a couple of hundred yards with the Leopold 1000 at the store, but it was as easy to use as my 600, and I'll probably spring for the 1000 when I have the $$.

When I bought my vortex at sportsmen's the sales men told me the same thing.... I have ranged non reflective objects smaller then trees out to about 700.

I am in the market for a new range finder as well. I archery/xbow hunt and rifle hunt and want something dual purpose with angle compensation. I have narrowed it down to the Vortex 1000 and the Leupold 1000 TBR. I have a friend that has the Leupold model and swears by it, I've used it and ranged boats on open water at 927 yards. I'm having second thoughts on the Vortex now. One thing that I keep coming back to is Vortex has a LIFETIME WARRANTY and the Leupold is only 2 years and it is not water proof and the Vortex is. I like both products and own several scopes from each. . .this makes things so hard. And I just can't seem to sell myself to drop $$$ for the Lieca or other high dollar models. But I'll sure spend it on a scope with no questions asked ! ? ! ? Go figure.

So far I'm happy with the Leupold I just bought farthest I have ranged is 991 but that was a building. Out in the field around 850 on a tree. Something I noticed was if your shooting the rangefinder south with the sun at noon position it didn't range as well. I think the sun messes with the rangefinder and doesn't allow it to range right. I think the vortex will be a great rangefinder only reason I got the Leupold was the salesmen talked me into it and the price was $80 cheaper. Said they both did the same thing. Another reason wad because I have a friend who has the Leupold also and loves it, he's a very picky petition also.

Good luck.

So this evening I ranged a deer at 732 yards with my vortex. That's the furthest I've range an animal to date.... Not bad IMO.gun)

Salesmen should never be trusted :D I think they are just regurgitating published specs most of the time anyway. I used one of the Leupolds a few years ago and was not impressed. Had a hard time getting readings past 400. They may have gotten better since then but I'm super happy with my Vortex. I was out looking for elk last night and ranged a bunch of stuff...numerous trees and rocks out to 850 and a grassy clearing at 1048. That was without a tripod. Direct sunlight will decrease the range of any rangefinder, but this one is very reliable out to at least 600 in bright light and is good past 800 when the sun gets a bit lower. If I ever upgrade it will probably be to a Leica 1600 for consistent ranging past 800.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.