trying to decide on a Leica 1600B vs Leica 1000-R vs Vortex Ranger 1000

dmax1800

I know that rangefinders have been discussed a lot and I've researched the threads. I know the 1600B is the best of the 3, but also the most expensive. I'm trying to decide if its worth the $800 for the 1600B versus $600 for the 1000-R versus $379 for the ranger 1000. I'm new to long range hunting and I think that 500 yards is going to be my max range, for now. For now most shots will not be on very mountainous conditions, but that could change in the future. But I don't want to be cents foolish and buy a rangefinder that I will want to replace in a couple of years as my ability with my rifle increases.
Can you help me decide???

Last edited:
You probably don't want to hear this but I currently own a 1600B. It ranges plenty well and yep its 800 bucks. Given a chance to do over I would have saved a while longer and purchased the G7 at 1600 bucks. I'm now saving for the G7 and will use 1600B until then. The 1600B has like 12 ballistic curves none of which fit the load I'm now using well enough to use. With the G7 you can load your rifles ballistic info right into it. That is pretty good Ju-Ju!!

Of what you mention the 1600B hands down.

I've owned them all. Just sold my 1600 about an hour ago for $500. Sold my 1600B a few weeks ago. Both great devices. But, the G7 BR2 is the bomb! Had mine for a month now. I've made first round hits to 1235 yds so far.

Alan

What about a
Zeiss Victory T PRF Laser Rangefinder?

MidwayUSA has them for $649. Is it worth considering, or should I just break the bank and get the Leica 1600B???

Like I said in my original post, I'm going to be shooting only out to 500 yards for now. Probably not going to shoot 1000 yards. I've got a Zeiss rapid z 800 scope that has a ballistic reticle, so I don't need a ballistic program in the rangefinder.

What about a
Zeiss Victory T PRF Laser Rangefinder?

MidwayUSA has them for $649. Is it worth considering, or should I just break the bank and get the Leica 1600B???

Like I said in my original post, I'm going to be shooting only out to 500 yards for now. Probably not going to shoot 1000 yards. I've got a Zeiss rapid z 800 scope that has a ballistic reticle, so I don't need a ballistic program in the rangefinder.

Yeah but you need a range finder that will range with a small divergence and in terrible conditions.

What I kinda have learned is take the range finders advertised distance divide that by two and that is about where you can expect the thing to perform when conditions are bad (bright sunny day etc.) The 1600B that I have and I live in a steep mountains' environment has not missed out to a 1000 yards even in 100 degree heat with bright sun. I have another rangefinder of lesser quality that won't range consistently at 500 yards under the same conditions.

A year from now you will want to thank those who recommend the 1600, 1600B or G7.

... What I kinda have learned is take the range finders advertised distance divide that by two and that is about where you can expect the thing to perform when conditions are bad (bright sunny day etc.) ...

+1 :)

I know there are probably a select few that will actually perform as advertised... but use this as a good rule of thumb.

if your using it for 500 yard deer shooting the vortex would probably get the job done. Some here are serious long range shooters and there idea of long range starts at 500 yards. Im more in the camp of the 500 yard deer shooter myself. Ive got a 1000 yard bushnel and its served me pretty well. Like was said 5 maybe 600 yards is about it for it though. I guess i kind of figure that if the range finder doesnt mark it its probably to far for me to fool with.

If your serious about any long range shooting at all, you will be past 500 yards in one weekend. I would buy a RF that will range deer at 1000 accurately. You may not be ready to take game at 1000 for a while, maybe never, but there will come a time where a rock or steel gong will tempt you to take a poke at it at 1000. So why buy now and wish you bought better later. Get a CRF 1600 or 1600B. They are THE best bang for the buck.

I use a Vectronix for my daily RF, my back up RF is a CRF 1600. I would not spend more for the 1600B because I prefer to use a phone app for my corrections. So range is all I ask of an RF, but I want it accurate. This is the most accurate way to go. Bar none. The G7 is very nice, and very convenient. But you still need a kestrel for reading wind speed, and buy the time you figure out what to do for a wind correction with the G7 you could have entered it in an app. It too has a pretty large beam. Some have not seen the problems that could occur with this, but I have. I set one up for failure in my field test and it did. Twice.

Forget the Zeiss, the zeiss has a beam divergence bigger than a bus. Well almost.

Jeff

following this thread, and wondering if anybody with the 1000, 1600 or 1600b's use the cradle made for them to go on a bipod? seems as if a lot of complaints about the leica's is they are hard to hold steady.

Thanks in advance.

perhaps we should get a few of us together and wee if we can get a group buy on the 1600b?

Idahoorion

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.