Vortex PST first or second focal point for hunting

encoreguy

I have read many posts on the pluses and minuses of both and I clearly understand the differences. I currently own 2 FFP Vortex PST's. One a 4-16 with EBR-1 MOA reticle and a 6-24 PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle and I like both scopes a lot. My only challenge with them is that when hunting I prefer to have my scope set low while walking / still hunting so if I need to make a quick shot I have a wide field of view. With my 4-16, 8 power was about as low as I could go and still see the reticle in lower light on an animal quickly. It is about 12x on the 24x scope. I suppose I could leave the reticle illuminated but I usually only use that the last 15 minutes of legal light. My eyes are not what they were when I was younger. The larger reticle at high power does not really bother me too much since the smallest game I would be shooting at is a coyote. I enjoy long range target shooting / hunting and both dial at times and use the reticle at times for distance and of course use the reticle for windage.

I am looking to buy another Vortex scope and am considering a SFP model based on what I said above. The cost difference is really not significant between FFP and SFP with Vortex scopes so that is not a big consideration. I figure if I have to dial the distance or use the reticle for distance shooting I will have time to dial up the power. I just wanted to get some thoughts and observations from the group.

Thanks!

In for a reaponse. I am looking a long range setup myself. Dial in the range and shoot. No run in gun so to speak. Still undecided on the sfp or ffp.

I have read many posts on the pluses and minuses of both and I clearly understand the differences. I currently own 2 FFP Vortex PST's. One a 4-16 with EBR-1 MOA reticle and a 6-24 PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle and I like both scopes a lot. My only challenge with them is that when hunting I prefer to have my scope set low while walking / still hunting so if I need to make a quick shot I have a wide field of view. With my 4-16, 8 power was about as low as I could go and still see the reticle in lower light on an animal quickly. It is about 12x on the 24x scope. I suppose I could leave the reticle illuminated but I usually only use that the last 15 minutes of legal light. My eyes are not what they were when I was younger. The larger reticle at high power does not really bother me too much since the smallest game I would be shooting at is a coyote. I enjoy long range target shooting / hunting and both dial at times and use the reticle at times for distance and of course use the reticle for windage.

I am looking to buy another Vortex scope and am considering a SFP model based on what I said above. The cost difference is really not significant between FFP and SFP with Vortex scopes so that is not a big consideration. I figure if I have to dial the distance or use the reticle for distance shooting I will have time to dial up the power. I just wanted to get some thoughts and observations from the group.

Thanks!

I have older eyes too and those are the same issues that keep me on SFP scopes.

There are a few differences in the PST FFP and SFP scopes that are rarely talked about:

1) The SFP scopes have 1 MOA graduations. The FFP scopes only have 2 MOA graduations. (At least that's the way they were a couple years ago.) The finer graduations of the SFP make it much better for holdover and windage call.

2) The Vortex Viper PST in 6-24x is marked and indexed on the zoom ring at ranges that make the graduations usable at exactly 1 - 2 -3 and -4 MOA.

They are marked and indexed (so you can feel the positions without looking) as follows:

24x - 1 MOA
12x - 2 MOA
8X - 3 MOA
6X - 4 MOA.

So you can see from the above that you can walk the woods with the scope on 6X power and still quicky use the scope for longer range shots with the graduations at 4 MOA per.

You wouldn't even be able to see the graduations with the scope at 6X on an FFP scope!

So for the above reasons I have never gone down the FFP path and happy for it.

I also have both types. For me, at lowest mag the graduated portion is very small but still forms a basic "cross" framed by the thick outer segments. For a shot where I am close enough to have the mag backed down like that, I don't need to use the marks anyway, so it's not an issue. When the light is fading and I have to back the power down a bit to keep enough light coming through to be useful, I don't have to find a specific power setting to use the subtensions, just turn the ring until I can see well enough to ID the target and shoot. With my SFP rigs I have to go to a specific setting and stay there, then not forget the math for that setting. While either scope can be used effectively, my chance to screw it up is greater with SFP.

I have a Vortex 6x24 PST ffp that is one year old. I hate that scope & would take an offer on it. I have tried to sell it for a year & have had no hits.
Thanks, Kirk

Thanks for the responses so far. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who's eyes are not what they used to be. Getting older sucks. I am not worried about seeing the hash marks at the lower power, just the crosshair. I really could go either way and make it work. There are pro's and cons for both and no clearcut "right" or "wrong" answer. Thanks for the input so far. I am still on the fence and I need to order my scope by the end of the day tomorrow. I also am torn between 4-16 or 6-24. I like 4-16 for most hunting applications but like the extra magnification when testing reloads at longer range. Too many decisions. I know buy both but I buy one new scope a year and swap out one of my older mil dot / moa turret scopes each year. I can usually "hide" one scope purchase from the wife.

I don't have the PST but do use the 4-16 HSLR FFP and here is what happened to me season before last elk hunting.

It was a dark overcast morning with a drizzle and fog hanging in the canyon. Spotted a bunch of elk moving down the ridge across from me. Ranged an opening where they would come through. It was close to 300 yards so did not have to dial. I saw them and brought the rife up and there was the bull plain as day but crap could not see the cross hair in the bad light. Dropped the rifle down cranked the scope to 8 and all I saw was his rump going into the timber.

The thing is I knew better but just spaced it. So the next scope will be a step up in glass but in the SFP for hunting as I like the scope on its lowest power while hiking.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts