Vortex Golden Eagle

I have had TTs and Schmidt's and USO's, NF all of them I am not expecting the glass to be at Schmidt or TT level it's 1500 scope. Just wanting real world opinions. I am very realistic with glass. This ain't life or death scope to protect my family simply to punch paper and bang steel with a strictly bench ridden play toy is all.

Remmy , a few years ago the guys on accurate shooter forum were testing scopes for POI shift due to recoil . the first thread had a ton of info on a bunch of different scopes , but it turned into a spitting contest and the original poster removed the thread , because some guys didn't like their brand of scope being talked about . it was a super informative thread and a shame it was taken down . some guys have bought scope checkers and have posted their results . here is a thread on the golden eagle .

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...es-on-the-hood-checker.3931201/#post-37025678

so I pretty much don't like any vortex scopes although I have an Amg and gen 2 rzr. I just keep them around cause they are mounted and I got other stuff to worry about. I got a bench gun going on right now, u know just tinker toy and I need a high power scope and I keep seeing these golden eagle vortex scopes for good prices. And I admit I kinda like their reticle options. Anyone have some experience with them that would not mind sharing? Thanks fellows
China, Philippine, Japan is where they are made. Way to much money for a China scope. Used to buy vortex a dime a dozen, but here comes advertising

Golden Eagle is a good scope.
I have one on my F-TR rifle (308 Win).
I also have the Kahles, March, and NF comp scopes.
Sebastian Lambang/SEB Rests used it at the Berger SW Nationals this year and it worked great!
This is Dan doing load development with it at 600 yards on paper when it was around -17 below zero...Not counting the windchill.

The four shot group measures horizontally (.477), vertical is .957. The 5-shot group (including the called flyer) is 2.853 at 600 yards. Bartlein 10T barrel, Kelbly rings, and the Vortex Golden Eagle scope.

Mine all say Japan. I love my golden eagles. Sold my nightforce scopes. I do still have a 42 nsx. I shoot 1000 yard competition. The glass looks as good as other high end scopes to me in side by side comparison. I just did a rifle with a hd6 Leopold that was 1800 dollars and a vortex pst looked every bit as good to 3 of us who compared them side by side. That vortex is 499 on sale. We checked them as it was getting dark. Vortex glass is pretty nice in my opinion. Swarovski glass is the best I've looked through. Shep

So, I don't understand all the hate over Vortex scopes? I understand their less expensive stuff is not the best but their mid to high end stuff is better than the Leupold options at the same price point. I have replaced all my VX-3 scopes with Vipers (PST, HST, HSLR) and the optics are far better than the comparable Leupold plus the warranty is unbeatable. I also owned a Boone and Crockett spotter which I replaced with a 20-60x85 Razor and also no comparison.
So understandably I'm not running Razor rifle scopes, I honestly don't see the point of spending 3+k on a scope so maybe that's the disconnect.
I'm a normal hunter/shooter. I've only shot out as far as 900 yards with my 4-16 HSLR and it served its purpose. Maybe shooting a mile you'd need the 3k+ optics?

I've got 5 of the Golden Eagles. I've replaced all my NF Benchrest scopes (except 1, it's a spare) with them. For the money I believe they are tough to beat. Sure I'd rather have March's on everything but at 2x the price that doesn't make sense to my simpleton mind...it's isn't 2x quality or glass in my opinion. The edges get a little darker on 60x and especially if you use the "mirage ring" but it's very adequate for bench work.

Glass wise in this class you will be hard pressed to beat the NF Competition, but they are close to approaching 2x price too.

Last edited:
This is not a vortex hate or love thread or a thread bashing the need to spend $3k plus on optics. And no matter what way u twist it a vortex pst will never compete with a $3k + optic and u can rationalize that however u choose. I simply was asking for real world reviews from any members on here.

I've got 5 of the Golden Eagles. I've replaced all my NF Benchrest scopes (except 1, it's a spare) with them. For the money I believe they are tough to beat. Sure I'd rather have March's on everything but at 2x the price that doesn't make sense to my simpleton mind...it's isn't 2x quality or glass in my opinion. The edges get a little darker on 60x and especially if you use the "mirage ring" but it's very adequate for bench work.

Glass wise in this class you will be hard pressed to bet the NF Competition, but they are close to approaching 2x price too.
My mind was pretty much made up on the nf comp scope but I seen the golden eagle and it seems to have a descent following.

Golden Eagles are made in Japan (@ LOW if memory serves). My father in law has two on Brench Rest rifles and has been very impressed for the price. He bought the first one after a dealer let him take one and a Nightforce outside to compare the two. He does say that, at max magnification, there is some very slight distortion but wanted 40x clear and that's where he leaves them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.