Vortex Golden Eagle

Golden Eagles are made in Japan (@ LOW if memory serves). My father in law has two on Brench Rest rifles and has been very impressed for the price. He bought the first one after a dealer let him take one and a Nightforce outside to compare the two. He does say that, at max magnification, there is some very slight distortion but wanted 40x clear and that's where he leaves them.
Probably the same place the March's are made...lol.

A benchrest friend who shoots a March suggested I purchase a Golden Eagle to get started, he felt it was of a quality that would justify the expense and perform well for benchrest, if I didn't want to jump straight into a March. I haven't had a chance to exercise my new Golden Eagle yet myself, but he's a grounded and thoughtful guy, and is also the local benchrest champion, so you can take his input for what it's worth. The March is a great scope and I'd love to have one, but as a Purchasing Manager for large technology enterprises and having spent half a billion dollars (of other peoples' money), I've learned that the 80/20 rule always applies here too - you can spend 80% more for 20% additional benefit. If I ever need that extra 20% of performance and have the dough, I'll probably get a March, but until then, I think I'll probably be happy I have the Golden Eagle.

I have looked through and used both golden eagle and night force comp. to me they are both hard to look through and find my eye relief it could be because they were not my rifle. To me they both were not that clear because of the high power; but if I had to choose one to put on my elr rifle, which I will be doing, I'm putting the golden eagle on mine because of the price or I think I'll get the Charlie tac I normally shoot with a razor gen two 4.5x27-56 and I love it.

Last edited:
so I pretty much don't like any vortex scopes although I have an Amg and gen 2 rzr. I just keep them around cause they are mounted and I got other stuff to worry about. I got a bench gun going on right now, u know just tinker toy and I need a high power scope and I keep seeing these golden eagle vortex scopes for good prices. And I admit I kinda like their reticle options. Anyone have some experience with them that would not mind sharing? Thanks fellows
I had one on my 600 HD rifle and found at 50power it was a little dark but several guys at our club use them for long range ! I recently bought a 50 power kahles and it's the best I've ever owned by far

A benchrest friend who shoots a March suggested I purchase a Golden Eagle to get started, he felt it was of a quality that would justify the expense and perform well for benchrest, if I didn't want to jump straight into a March. I haven't had a chance to exercise my new Golden Eagle yet myself, but he's a grounded and thoughtful guy, and is also the local benchrest champion, so you can take his input for what it's worth. The March is a great scope and I'd love to have one, but as a Purchasing Manager for large technology enterprises and having spent half a billion dollars (of other peoples' money), I've learned that the 80/20 rule always applies here too - you can spend 80% more for 20% additional benefit. If I ever need that extra 20% of performance and have the dough, I'll probably get a March, but until then, I think I'll probably be happy I have the Golden Eagle.
I had a philosophy like that for a long time but now that I can afford the good stuff I just buy it from the start. It seemed like I was never happy settling and ended up selling the cheaper stuff for less than I paid and ended up spending the extra on the expensive glass later anyway. I realize not everyone is in a position to do that but thats my two cents. Haven't put down the cash for a Tangent Theta yet but mainly because I can't find one to look through around here.

Regardless of the brand you have to put a bench scope on a tester under live fire to verify their zero holding capability. NF Comps fail regularly to hold zero, so do many others if your willing to test them.

I own one and like it a lot but it's also the most expensive scope I own, but only because I'm cheap and have 5 kids all under 15 so I've got better things to sink multiple thousands of dollars on. It's on my long range rifle and has performed flawlessly. Is the glass as good as a March? Who cares, that's not the relevant question. Is the glass good enough to accomplish what you want to accomplish? Probably. I really like the reticle, the 1/8 MOA clicks and it's plenty bright outdoors in any conditions I've used it for although I'd argue ANY scope starts getting harder to use over 40x. I find myself usually using 45x as about the practical max, but I've had it to 60x as my spotting scope on occasion when spotting for others and didn't want to get my bigger spotter out.

Regardless of the brand you have to put a bench scope on a tester under live fire to verify their zero holding capability. NF Comps fail regularly to hold zero, so do many others if your willing to test them.
I remember a thread a while back I'm not sure if it was on here or another forum but most of the Scopes failed miserably at holding zero. The OP had a jig set up to test them and If I recall the only two that were consistent at holding zero were Kahles and March scopes. I talked to Ryan Pierce awhile back about building a 300 NI and he confirmed that the Kahles will hold zero. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Vortex but the two that I have just don't really impress me compared to my other scopes and I really would like my scope to hold zero whatever brand it is.

I had a philosophy like that for a long time but now that I can afford the good stuff I just buy it from the start. It seemed like I was never happy settling and ended up selling the cheaper stuff for less than I paid and ended up spending the extra on the expensive glass later anyway. I realize not everyone is in a position to do that but thats my two cents. Haven't put down the cash for a Tangent Theta yet but mainly because I can't find one to look through around here.

Probably best not to, $4700 adds up pretty quick and you are going to want more than one :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.