Vortex 3-18 ffp strike eagle

comfisherman

Putting aside my low level disdain for vortex (that darn warranty has been used way to much on my samples), this scope appears to have a lot going for it.

3-18 solid ratio and range for hunting
Ffp with popular reticle
27 oz
Decent overall size
If the turrets hit where the 5-25 is they will be stellar for the price range, same with glass quality.
Decent price for features in the sub 1000$ range.
10 yard close focus

While my experience with vortex may have involved way to many trips back to hq, they did eventually work our. I'll probably still try one for a range 22lr. B14r have to admit they do a good job getting scopes to a good spec in front of the market.

Viper pst 2 at its current sale price will definitely eat into its market share. Granted the strike eagle is 1oz lighter, goes to 10y yards closer (rifire prs guys and airgun seem to like this) and the reality that these will probably be low 600s on revolving sales. Not sure why the pst line is so low, usually when they let everyone knock 30% off it means new lineup...

Meopta gets good reviews, don't have much personal commentary on them.

I guess I really don't care one way or the other about arken. If I deviate from saving pennies for a mark 5, nf, or xtr3 it would likely be vortex. We're running headlong into crunch time for Optics companies. My bet is we cull more than a few small outfits and maybe even a big one. Maybe Aiken makes it maybe not, but I'm betting vortex had established itself deep enough for it to last.

Swfa ss 3-15 is an interesting one, its highly spoken of....but... swfa has shut down the srorefeont. On top of that the product catalog on the website has slowly decreased down to next to nothing over the last month. Maybe they keep the ss brand going, but all signs point to it being a dead or dying company. Warranties and mfg issues definitely weigh in on a purchase like this, especially in the wake of nikon.

It will be interesting to see folks go hands on at shot to see how it stacks up.

It will be interesting to see folks go hands on at shot to see how it stacks up.
I suspect it will get rave reviews at SHOT because those folks turn reality off and still have a hand out. It will be talked up in that crowd.

Here, the market has to change for it to fit. I'm sure it is an ok optic, but not a gamechanger.

Oh for sure on the general market of reviews, when I say review it's misleading. I should say if Ilya reviews it, it will be interesting.

Nothing in optics will be a game changer, but where it will likely settle in price it will probably do well. I'm just glad to see optics ffp not starting at 5x.

I looked through one recently as I was waiting for the salesman get something else I was buying.
Very clear but you had to get too close to the scope rim for my comfort.I am used to 4 inches or close to it from other scope brands.Maybe it was just me or being at the counter and holding by hand.The specs should say how much eye relief.
Camera land had them on sale during December but can't remember prices.
Another vote for Arken,I love mine.

Now I see why the older Strike Eagle's
were going so cheap.
R4L185AGPIJ36V6G&dtm_email_hash=356395845545148DC530041130&dtm_user_id=12182020&dtmc_drop_id=%23Listrak%5cDateTimeStampNumeric%23&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Vortex+Strike+Eagle+3-18x44+FFP+Riflescope&utm_campaign=1-10-23+New+Vortex+Strike+Eagle

More eye relief 3.8 inches

Oh for sure on the general market of reviews, when I say review it's misleading. I should say if Ilya reviews it, it will be interesting.
I can hear him now!

@ilya…."I'm honestly confused what Vortex is doing. They have the PST Gen 2 3-15x, which I love, being discounted for about $600. Then they put out the new Strike Eagle 3-18x, with lower quality glass, for $750. I suspect the PST Gen 2 is going away, but they did not say that. Anyways buy it if you need the additional magnification or cannot find the PST Gen 2 sales."

Yes, I am being sarcastic at his experience!

Hopefully this doesn't cause him to tail spin into Leupold makes nice scopes….that don't hold zero….and have the most confusing reticle applications one can imagine.

Lord knows I've a pile of leupold scopes for my set and forget rimfire rifles, and a mark 5 that proves they can albeit kicking and screaming. But I'd be shocked if the take a decade of going the wrong direction on almost all facets of the product line.

4 of my last 5 leupolds were second hand.... because they did their best innovation prior to 2010. Judging by the recent fb activity they are gonna blow our minds with something as awesome as the delta point compact. Not even colion noir could review that wart with a straight face. I'd eat my hat in tartar sauce if leupold releases something I want.... and that hurts as a long time leupold loyalist.

Reality is vortex gets in front of most market segments and covers poor qc with awesome cs. I'm sure the 3-18 will be under 600 in a few months if you know where to look. The pst gen 2 could rule the budget mid section if the ever do an "e" version. For now they are feature rich bricks.

Save up my pennies and by a March I guess. My furuno elections, toyota car, honda generator and March optics.... grandad "we lost" the long game.

If they don't leupold this, I'll he finding out how much fibers in my hat.... hard to get excited until specs fully leak.

Attachments

• 70210CE5-ACC3-4F38-9AA1-463695CC9A5B_jpe-2668412.jpeg
    70210CE5-ACC3-4F38-9AA1-463695CC9A5B_jpe-2668412.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 65