Visiting MT in June

flyingfisherman

Afternoon all!

I'm visiting MT for a few weeks in June. I've got a few things that I want to do (it's our honeymoon, so a little restricted..) I appreciate it's outside of hunting season but keen to see the real MT rather than the tourist routes. I've seen thing like 'fishing experiences' and 'horseback experience' which sounds more like a theme park than actually seeing some country.

We're flying into Bozeman on tbe 12th, going to the rodeo on the 13th then heading north towards glacier, via Missoula but don't have too much planned..

So any suggestions for a Brit visiting MT for the first time? Both into outdoors etc. would love to see the real place and some wildlife..!

Thanks in advance!

If you want to use an outfitter, I would recommend Cody Car outfitting for a horseback/fishing adventure up in
Plains, MT. I've hunted with them and they were very good to me. They have nice cabins and are nothing fancy, but they are plenty nice. There's some beautiful places up that way along the Clark Fork River and Lolo National Forest. Thompson Falls is also a great ride/hike as well. There cooking at the main lodge is excellent and there's a hint of the old days up there in those small towns. Everyone I met (locals) were also great people and very hospitable. Not a bad drive north up from Missoula.

My suggestion would be to make the trip to Glacier a loop, hang a right at Three Forks (Wheat Montana bakery) after you've left Missoula and follow the Missouri to Helena (Copperline Smash Burger). From Helena, head north on 15 towatds Craig (trout fishing) and then take 287 to Glacier NP, follow the signs. The Chinese Wall in the Bob Marshall Wilderness is pretty impressize. Come back through West Glacier to Whitefish and then south to Missoula.

Don't have much for lodging recommendations mainly because I live here and am partial to my house for places to stay. If you go up the east side of the divide along the Missouri there's not a lot of lodging options once you leave Helena that I'm aware of. Other attractions locally in Helena would be the Cathedral, and also the Sapphire mines (google Spokane Bar and El Dorado Bar sapphire mines). If you're considering fishing for trout I can possibly hook (no pun intended) you up with a fella if he's got room. Definitely be bear aware in these parts and bear spray is your best option being you won't have a firearm. There's plenty of folks on LRH from the Flathead area that I'm sure can advise on their area. Feel free to reach out at any time.

My recommendation is to rent a Jeep and stay off the freeway. There are lot's of Jeep trails and abandoned mines/ghost towns to explore.
In terms of taking trails.. are they well mapped or signposted? I'd hate to find myself off the beaten track and having to do a u-turn or get lost.. love the idea though!

In terms of exploring trails etc and navigation generally, what sort of cell signal and 4G should I expect? Are there any good maps etc that people would recommend for trails and general navigation without internet/4G?

I'd ad in some hot springs stops!! Bozeman hot springs is more of your commercialized newly expanded but excellent soak. If you are wanting to visit some of the best hunting producers/retailers there are many in Bozeman too. The museum also had an incredible native american display as well. Make time to double your stay in Glacier. Walking into some of those hanging glacial lakes on the east side. If you like geysers go to the West side of yellowstone. (I hated it) very touristy. North East side of yellowstone is excellent. Stop in to see Steve at Hammer bullets on the one side of Flathead lake. Paradise MT just north of Missoula is Quinn's Hot Springs. Not far from there is the National Bison Refuge a quick trip in there you won't be sorry either. You could go down through the Tetons too. All the parks trails are well trodden and plenty of help to give direction. Some want to be way off trail but a small group to say hello to and hike with really help with meeting Mrs. Grizzly and her babies. I've never felt smaller or more in AWE in my life than being ten yards from a grizzly.

Use the phone for photos. Enjoy the peace.

I had my East and West mixed up about Yellowstone. Sorry

Last edited:
Thats amazing help, thank you for that.. I'm planning on getting some decent trail shoes and clothes when I arrive, is somewhere like sportsman's in Bozeman a good shout?

In terms of snakes, do you need to consider that when thinking about shorts/shoes etc? Am I right in thinking only the rattle snake is venomous and pretty rare sighting? Just thinking in terms of my lack of ability to ID a snake and don't want to be bitten or have to try find a hospital for something that was avoidable..

I'd love to see a griz, from a distance!! Is it likely whilst we're out and about? Planning on taking my binoculars at least

Most trails will be well marked. A GPS with a map and compass backup would be good investments. Bear spray is a must have.

Whether hiking or Jeeping, be cognizant of the weather. It can change very quickly in the mountains and snow is possible nearly any time of year at the upper elevations.
Many areas had several inches of snow this week.

Snakes are not an issue in the mountains, but yes rattlesnakes are not uncommon.

Sportsmans Warehouse or Bob Wards would be good places to check for supplies.

Cell coverage will vary but I wouldn't count on it.

Good luck and enjoy!

I don't live there but Wife and I did a ton of research to see as much as we could in Glacier and Yellowstone during our two trips. And still so much more to see. I would check Glacier National Parks website on road closures. I know Going-to-the-Sun Road will most likely still be closed in June. Also with Glacier the earlier in the morning you get there the better. Parking is very limited! If staying in Bozeman for a few days, it is worth driving to Yellowstone through Gardiner. If it's open and you're up to the drive Beartooth Scenic Highway from NE Yellowstone to Red Lodge is a beautiful road trip and several scenic spots to stop. We love Montana, and Wyoming they're absolutely beautiful states. 2nd picture is at Beartooth, I believe at the highest point. Living on the East Coast all my life seeing real Mountains for the first time I was overwhelmed with the beauty and wish we had visited The West sooner than me turning 39
IMG_1570.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 10