Viper PST,anyone?

Yes, it's the EBR-1 reticle. The posts come in when you turn the power down to give it more of a duplex (or 4a in this case) look. Though on this model the reticle stays quite thin and open in the center:

PICT0122.JPG

The idea is if you're on low power, it's because you expect something might jump out at close range so the reticle needs to be bold, easy to see, quick to pick up so you can make a quick shot. When cranked up to 24X obviously you're doing something long range/precision where that's no longer a worry so it's zoomed in on the thin lines in the center.

Really, I'm tellin' ya, it's a thing of beauty. :D

On the SFP versions, the posts always stay the same and are always there, high or low power. On low power they don't come as close to the center to help with quick aiming, and on high power they don't get out of the way--they actually take up space that's used for more holdover on the FFP reticle.

I was trying to buy a 4-16 ffp pst and everyone laughed at me, said it was on back order with no way of knowing when it would arrive. I decided to spend the money on a 3.5x10 diamondback bdc, reloading kit and all the equipment needed along with some bore tech gun care stuff all for the same price as the pst. I feel like I stayed in a holiday inn last night. :D

Hey Jon A,

I was wondering if you got a chance to do some more comparisons this weekend. I thought i read that you were going to try to get out this weekend to do some more testing and comparisons and was hoping to hear some updates. Let us know :)

Yes, I did. The more I do the more impressed I am with it. I was specifically asked how it compared with my Weaver 4-20 Tactical (which I've said before has outstanding glass for the price); the answer is it's at least as good. Resolution-wise they are pretty much a tie, but the 6-24 PST seems to have a tad better contrast and the colors look a bit richer but that's really hair-splitting.

In short, you could use the two side by side and not be able to tell the difference. That's with both of them on 20X of course, when you turn up the PST to 24X you obviously can see a bit more detail.

Boy, there are a couple of real idiots in that thread. My 6-24 "Impressions" weren't enough of an in-depth review to satisfy them? Apparently the rocket scientists missed the "I won't go too in-depth as most of the features and so forth are pretty much identical to the 4-16" part. It was the second sentence afterall, maybe they couldn't read that far. If they had, maybe a bulb would have come on (dimly, of course) and they would have found my review of the 4-16. If that wasn't in-depth enough for them I'd really like to read some of their reviews of new scopes so I can see how it's really done.

That "al" guy gets the gold star for ignorance though, claiming in other threads the PST's are made in China. Scratch that, I'm a big fan of ignorance so I'll give him two stars for that. He also doesn't seem to think Premier or Schmidt and Bender scopes are "real scopes." I'd be really curious to know what scopes he uses that are so good they make those out to be "toys."

"what a pap"

I believe Al uses March scopes. I guess I didn't see where he said the Premier or S&B scopes weren't good. Would you be so kind to cut and paste where he posted that?
Butch

He said "the posters who wrote this drek have never owned a real scope." when I not only discuss but have pictures in the 4-16 review.

I'll be getting a March here in a couple months as well. As good as I hope it will be, I highly doubt it'll make me feel like the others aren't "real scopes." I'm sure it'll make a "Springfield Armory, BSA or NCStar, " (what he says the PST is comparable to) not seem like real scopes, but I have never owned any of those.

It's also interesting he knows for a fact that I have never heard of "resolution." When in the pictures there's this funny looking chart...what's that for again?

He said "the posters who wrote this drek have never owned a real scope." when I not only discuss but have pictures in the 4-16 review.

I'll be getting a March here in a couple months as well. As good as I hope it will be, I highly doubt it'll make me feel like the others aren't "real scopes." I'm sure it'll make a "Springfield Armory, BSA or NCStar, " (what he says the PST is comparable to) not seem like real scopes, but I have never owned any of those.

It's also interesting he knows for a fact that I have never heard of "resolution." When in the pictures there's this funny looking chart...what's that for again?

At least you have an open mind about it.

At least you have an open mind about it.
I'm supposed to have an "open mind" about demonstratively false statements said about me? Care to explain the logic why?

I could make any number of false statements about you right now. I could just make something up. If I did, should you "have an open mind about it?" Why would you?

I'm supposed to have an "open mind" about demonstratively false statements said about me? Care to explain the logic why?

I could make any number of false statements about you right now. I could just make something up. If I did, should you "have an open mind about it?" Why would you?

I was being serious. Those guys obviously don't have an open mind about it. If you will look at the original review of the Viper 4-16, I was complimentary of it. I was going to put another scope recommended (Monarch Gold) on one of my guns, until I sold it.

You said you were going to try the other scopes, that shows an open mind.

As for me, I might check one out when I get around to it. I have little need for a IR scope at this point in time as I am concentrating on hunting, and as I said before, a lot of states don't allow IR in scopes when hunting game.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.