Viper PST 5-25x50 opinion

JasonBales

I have bull barrel 300 win mag. I plan to shoot to 1000 yards on steel for fun/practice and hunt with occasionally. Does anyone have experience with this scope at 1000 yards?
How is the clarity?
Does ffp make it hard to shoot say under 200 yards?
Is there a better option in this price range of this scope?

For the money the Viper Gen 2 PST is hard to beat. I have the AMG, and PST. A friend of mine showed up with the PST shooting one day and I was so impressed with it, I bought one from Europtics the next week for 800. Clarity at 1000 midday is great. I have not tried it out at last light, but i am sure one will have to turn the magnification down for brightness, but you will have to do that with all high power scopes. No issues shooting at closer ranges either.

I have the gen 2 pst on my 300 sendero. It works well and I have no complaints. I have made hit out to 1300 yard with it. The clarity seems on par with most 1000 dollar scopes. IMO it had slightly better clarity than the Leopold vx HD5 and the nightforce SHV. Mine is also a FFP, and I do find the reticle "busy" but I must be getting used to it.

I just barely bought a 5-25x50 FFP this last week. I have had a gen 1 6-24x50 SFP for several years and love it. The gen 2 glass is noticeably better, but not as good as my VX5HD 3-15x56. The first focal reticle is busy with the christmas tree and at lower powers you can see the crosshairs, but it becomes significantly more difficult against a dark background or at low light - I am counting on the illumination to compensate for this, but I am still debating whether or not to trade it for another SFP. I am joining a range that runs some PRS type events and heard the FFP is the way to go for that - so I went ahead and got a FFP. If I was just running to the range for target shooting or hunting, I would get a second focal plane for sure. The PST Gen 2 will easily get you to 1000 yards.

I have a PST Gen 1 6-24X50 SFP and a PST Gen 11 3-15x44 SFP. I like them. They dial accurately and return to zero as they should and glass is good enough for 1000 yard shooting. For what you are looking for they are a bargain.

I have to check as I have both gen 1 and gen 2 PST scopes.

I agree that the gen 2 has a bit better glass.

I think these are my current ones lol
Gen 1... 6-24x50 FFP on 30-378
Gen 1... 4-16x50 FFP on 300
RUM
Gen 2... 4-16x50 SFP on 28 Nosler
Gen 1... 3-12 (can't remember exactly) x 44 SFP on 7 mm WSM

The 30-378 and 300 RUM have both shot out to a mile but Figjam basically covered it all. To me they are a pretty decent scope that are comparable to some higher priced scopes.

But the next step up is a pretty big jump in price and quality as well.

I have bull barrel 300 win mag. I plan to shoot to 1000 yards on steel for fun/practice and hunt with occasionally. Does anyone have experience with this scope at 1000 yards?
How is the clarity?

Glass is good japanese glass. So it ain't no S&B.

The older ones had some random tracking issues. The gen 2s seemed to have been good all around, plus there isn't much of a price difference.

FFP is fine for all distances as long as you know how it works. When zero I recommend to confirm zero with max magification. If you are shooting a really small object far away sometimes it's better to use less mag to not obscure said target with the reticle. If that's not the case, FFP is fine. However no advantage over sfp unless you use the reticles other features on different magnification

I had to get 4 to get a good one. I think there are better scopes in that price range. My first choice would be the Zeiss V4.

I bought one for my 6MMAR the other day with ADM mount and love this scope for the money. It's really clear glass.

How is the clarity?

I would suggest you find a dealer who deals in a variety of brands and stocks the ones you are considering, and look through them with YOUR eyes- especially if you can check them out near dusk. Everyones' eyes will see it slightly different and what is a great scope to one may not be to another.
To me, $800-1000 is too much money to just roll the dice.

Good luck! And let us know what you settle on!

Ron

6205448F-2248-4D88-8DC7-339FE86E649E.jpeg
I love my Vortex SFP very clear glass good zero stop

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.