Viper barrel vise

MT257

Has anyone ever ran into the powder coating flaking or chipping on their Viper Barrel vise? I had mine start chipping when installing a barrel.

Has anyone ever ran into the powder coating flaking or chipping on their Viper Barrel vise? I had mine start chipping when installing a barrel.
We have two and still like new. We use a toilet paper roll around the barrel. When mounting use a washer under the bolt head. Where is the powder coat chipping? Also when did you buy it. Bob (The Viper) sold his business last year and now has a new owner making the vises.

Mine did. I don't fault the product at all, though. It was caused by the top flexing/bending when cranking it down. Don't know any finish that will survive that.
vise.jpeg

Bought it from PMA Tool. Mine chipped on the notch where the barrel rests. It caused a slight mark on the barrel. I had even used drywall tape around the barrel to prevent any type of marring.

Ya, powder coating chips, I wore two out. They are good but better suited to change barrels not break factory barrels loose. Still was a good little vice for the money.

Ya, powder coating chips, I wore two out. They are good but better suited to change barrels not break factory barrels loose. Still was a good little vice for the money.
I didn't break a factory barrel. Literally torqued a prefit to 70ft-lbs.

Bought it from PMA Tool. Mine chipped on the notch where the barrel rests. It caused a slight mark on the barrel. I had even used drywall tape around the barrel to prevent any type of marring.
I only used mine once, so it still looks relatively new. How much torque did you use to tighten it? IIRC, I use 40 FT-LBS for the nuts.

I didn't break a factory barrel. Literally torqued a prefit to 70ft-lbs.
I didn't say you did just added my experience of wearing a couple out. It's powder coat so it's going to flake in pressure spots, I just took it all out of the v on the second one when new. Wrap a barrel with a business card and rock on but even then you can have some barrel finished show where the v puts pressure. There are ones that are better but you pay significantly more. The viper is too deep for really contoured short shank barrels also and you have to be very careful using it.

I only used mine once, so it still looks relatively new. How much torque did you use to tighten it? IIRC, I use 40 FT-LBS for the nuts.
Before I went and used it and on Vipers site it said no more than 50 ft-lbs. So initially I torqued the nuts to 45. I had dry wall tape around barrel. I then set wrench to 70 ft - lbs and tried torquing action. Barrel spun. Took everything back out then noticed the marring on barrel. It's not much but visible. I then re wrapped barrel with dry wall tape, torqued nuts to 50 ft-lb. Then went to action at 70 ft-lbs, wrench kept clicking I didn't notice action move. Took it out of vise and noticed a bit more of the powder coating flaking. So I'm kinda at a loss of what to do next.

Before I went and used it and on Vipers site it said no more than 50 ft-lbs. So initially I torqued the nuts to 45. I had dry wall tape around barrel. I then set wrench to 70 ft - lbs and tried torquing action. Barrel spun. Took everything back out then noticed the marring on barrel. It's not much but visible. I then re wrapped barrel with dry wall tape, torqued nuts to 50 ft-lb. Then went to action at 70 ft-lbs, wrench kept clicking I didn't notice action move. Took it out of vise and noticed a bit more of the powder coating flaking. So I'm kinda at a loss of what to do next.
As @Dave in WI noted in his picture, the max pressure points are where the flaking occurs. That is probably why the newer version is not coated.