Vise for workbench opinions? Old vs New?

engineer40

I've been needing a vise for a long time. Now I'm at the point that I have a project that I really need a vise for. So one much be purchased...

None of the moderately priced new vises get very good reviews.

The only excellent reviewed vises I've found are in the $300-$500 range.

Would I potentially be better off buying a vintage old vise from craigslist?

I'm a hobbyist. The vise would not see heavy duty use. However, I still gravitate towards buying better tools that are not junk.

Thanks for any opinions!

I use a Shop Fox Parrot vise for when I need to work on a firearm. I bought some leather and glue from MidwayUSA (I think) to pad the jaws to keep from marring finishes and it works well for me. The vise is able to be turned but locks in place when the jaws are tightened. Better vises are out there but not for the lower price point of this vise, at least none I could find.

I have two very old Columbian vises, not sure the age but OLD... They have been very good to me. I have heard the newer Harbor freight vises and the ones from Lowes will break in half of you clamp something to hard.... If you are just using them on guns and light duty stuff I think you would be fine with one of the four or six inch vises from those two places...

Go to Harbour Freight. Mostly junk items but the vises are WORTH THE PRICE they charge for them. Beat hell out of it....if it breaks just go get another one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.