Difference in Vortex Spotters Razor and Viper

John Beau

I am in the market for a Spotter. I am leaning towards the Vortex and am wanting input. I am comparing the Razor ( 20-60) and Viper (20-60)- has anyone had experience with the 2 and how do they compare to each other? I would mainly use it to take to the range and I want to be able to see hits on paper at long range....out to 1000 yards. I currently use a Leupold Golden Ring 12-40 for hunting but after 300 yards I am having trouble seeing bullet holes on paper.
I have read one review posted on this site that spoke highly of the Razor for long range target hits.

thanks
John

atmospheric conditions will play a very large role on how well you will be able to see bullet hole in paper. Beyond 300 can be iffy, even with good glass. I had a Vortex Razor HD 65mm spotter and then upgraded to the Swaro HD STS 65mm spotter. Where I live (La), the air density and moisture are so high that mirage makes it impossible to see bullet holes at 400 yards on most days with both of these spotters. The Razor HD 65mm spotter is a good spotter and I think you will be happy with it, just know that atmospheric conditions will determine how much of you spotters potential will be usable.
If you want to see hits on targets out to 1,000 you need to be shooting steel plates and have someone spotting for you. Others should chime in, but I don't think you will be able to see bullet holes in paper at 1,000 yards with any spotting scope under most conditions.

I've ran both and the razor has much superior glass, for what it's worth thee best I've seen is the NightForce spotter, I've made out bullet holes in paper at 1000 plus with it, I think there was a NF kit for reasonable in the sales forum.

They both suck when compared to german glass, get a used Meopta/Euro/NF (same scope) or a used swaro..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.