Review Of The Vortex Razor HD 10x42 Binoculars And The Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 Spott

ADMIN

Administrator
Lightweight Optics For the Backcountry Hunter

Just before this year's hunting season I decided to buy a new set of 10x42 binoculars and a lighter weight spotting scope as well as a tripod and head combo. In recent years I have been moving down in the weight of most of my gear --clothing, rifles, packs as well as optics. I also find myself going out in the field quite often with only binoculars and no spotter. With the use of a tripod -- or often just with shooting sticks -- it is quite possible to successfully spot and evaluate your quarry at quite a distance with just binos or occasionally even a small spotter.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Review Of The Vortex Razor HD 10x42 Binoculars And The Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 Spotting Scope, By Len Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Re: Review Of The Vortex Razor HD 10x42 Binoculars And The Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 S

Len , I couldn't agree more with your review on the 10x42 HD's . I bought a set from cameraland when Doug had the one day vortex sale . I'm very pleased with them . I wrote a short review on another forum . I mainly tested low light ability . a friend lent me his well known binos for a few days to compare . I thought you might be interested in reading this . Jim

I've had ( my friends euro binos ) for three evenings now . it has not been the best time to try these out as the sky has been clear and the moon about full . last night was cloudy though . on the nice clear moonlit nights I could watch the deer in my field as late as I wanted too . I could not run either bino out of light . sunset being around 8:05 I was still watching the deer at 9:30 , 10:30 , 11:30 it didn't matter if they were on the edge of the field or in the middle , there was too much light . last night was cloudy . I was still able to watch these deer , and tell bucks from does from yearlings until way past sunset with either set of binos . certain times one bino would seem better than the other , I'd hurry up and trade binos and then the other one seemed just the same . my friends are a little longer ,and seem a little heavier than the razor's . after using them side by side , I'm glad I bought the razors . I really think it would take a trained eye to tell the difference between these two bino's . I sure can't call one the better set , they test even to me . as a side note I was also playing with my old Leupold roof prism 10x50's . I knew these were not in the same league as the other bino's , but thought it would be fun to play with these too . well testing these side by side just confirmed that thought . the conclusion here is , the leupys are decent bino's , just don't try using them in very low light conditions. the clarity on the Leupys were failing about the time the testing was getting serious with ( my friends ) and my razors . keep in mind though the Leupolds price was I'm guessing $200 - $250 when new 8 or 10 years ago . so I really did not expect them to compete well with( my friends ) $2500 , or $1200 razors .

my only complaint on my razors is the rubber ring on the one screw up eye piece has pulled loose a few times while taking off the lens cover . I'll need to be careful of this or I'll loose it . the next time it pulls out of it's groove I'll put a dab of glue on it .

Re: Review Of The Vortex Razor HD 10x42 Binoculars And The Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 S

Jim, thanks for the confirmation.

What dual mount are you using. Thanks SP

Ive also found Vortex to be an amazing company, For the money and the quality I dont know of any company thats is putting optics of a better value out.
Then add the warranty and the customer service that comes with it, and its hard to beat the Vortex package.

My one experience with Vortex customer service made me an instant Vortex customer for life.

I bought a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 scope for a 10-22 I had laying around. Now keep in mind that this is Vortex's cheapest riflescope line, and I picked up the Scope on Ebay for $140

I had bought the scope from just some small optics store on Ebay and there was a problem with it, so I wrote Vortex and the seller, I got a response same day from the seller and vortex and he sent a new one out the next day. So I never even looked at the Vortex Email I got, well I got another Email from Vortex again asking me about my scope and offering to send a shipping box to me and get me a new scope if the seller didnt take care of me. I think the Womans name was Stephanie. I told her that the seller had taken care of me and I had a new one on the way.

Well a few days later I got another email from Vortex making sure that the new scope was fine and that I was happy with the product.

Having a company send me not one but three emails to ensure that a third party had taken care of a customer, and offering to send me a box with a return shipping label and replace the scope no questions asked , is above and beyond anything that ive seen from anywhere else.
I know that it also has alot to do with the individuals that you are coming into contact with, the best warranty on the planet without good people to talk to is worthless. But from what ive read my experience is pretty much standard when dealing with Vortex customer service.
I own 4 vortex optics and all of them are fantastic.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.