Difference in recoil between 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC?

gruidie

Hello, could questions has anyone shot both the creedmoor and PRC? What is the difference in recoil and what do the two compare to?

I am looking at the Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed. I like the idea of a little more power but want the less recoil so my kids can shoot and hunt with the gun also. I will mostly be using it for wolf hunting and possibly elk. I have been seeing a lot of YouTube videos of guys killing elk with the 6.5 CM. One shot kills at distance out to 800 yards (too far for my liking) I watched one where the hunter shot a bull at 603 yard and the bullet went threw out the other side. Like everything it's shot placement and with the recoil it could help eliminate some shooter error. Why are your guys thoughts?

One shooter's ***** cat is another shooter's lion. I don't think either of these calibers has much recoil. That might not be your impression at all. If you would like them to be young shooter friendly good ear protection should make either of these a good option as it looks like it has a factory muzzle brake.

One shooter's ***** cat is another shooter's lion. I don't think either of these calibers has much recoil. That might not be your impression at all. If you would like them to be young shooter friendly good ear protection should make either of these a good option as it looks like it has a factory muzzle brake.
Have you shot them before by chance? Is it similar to an AR15, 243, 30-06 or something along those calibers?

Hello, could questions has anyone shot both the creedmoor and PRC? What is the difference in recoil and what do the two compare to?

I am looking at the Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed. I like the idea of a little more power but want the less recoil so my kids can shoot and hunt with the gun also. I will mostly be using it for wolf hunting and possibly elk. I have been seeing a lot of YouTube videos of guys killing elk with the 6.5 CM. One shot kills at distance out to 800 yards (too far for my liking) I watched one where the hunter shot a bull at 603 yard and the bullet went threw out the other side. Like everything it's shot placement and with the recoil it could help eliminate some shooter error. Why are your guys thoughts?
I shoot both. I have only shot the prc in a 12lb rifle and have also shot the creedmoor I'm that same weight rifle. Its not very much difference in those heavy rifles. I can't tell you how noticeable the difference would be in a Sporter weight. I would not start a child out on a 6.5 prc but if they have shot smaller cartridges such as a 243 or a 6.5 creedmoor and are comfortable with them, I wouldn't think that stepping up to the prc would be an issue for them.

I shoot both and neither has any noticeable recoil to me and feel similar. Neither of my rifles are lightweight. I'm not recoil sensitive though and even my 375 H&H doesn't bother me.

I would compare the recoil in the 6.5 PRC to a 270 win. The 6.5 CM is a little more than a 243. We hunt elk with 260's, 6.5 CMs and 25-06 and have had a lot of success. We usually keep the ranges to 600 and under with them. I think the 6.5 CM will be perfect for what you want. I own both.

that rifle comes with a muzzle brake so go prc and don't worry about recoil just ear drums

I shoot both. I have only shot the prc in a 12lb rifle and have also shot the creedmoor I'm that same weight rifle. Its not very much difference in those heavy rifles. I can't tell you how noticeable the difference would be in a Sporter weight. I would not start a child out on a 6.5 prc but if they have shot smaller cartridges such as a 243 or a 6.5 creedmoor and are comfortable with them, I wouldn't think that stepping up to the prc would be an issue for them.
Ok, thank you! I wish I knew someone with each other them it would make it a lot easier lol

I would compare the recoil in the 6.5 PRC to a 270 win. The 6.5 CM is a little more than a 243. We hunt elk with 260's, 6.5 CMs and 25-06 and have had a lot of success. We usually keep the ranges to 600 and under with them. I think the 6.5 CM will be perfect for what you want. I own both.
Thank you I appreciate that!

Fantastic, thank you! I am leaning toward the 6.5 cm. So the max distance you would shoot an elk with it is 600 yards? That sounds perfect for the area I will be in.

Fantastic, thank you! I am leaning toward the 6.5 cm. So the max distance you would shoot an elk with it is 600 yards? That sounds perfect for the area I will be in.
Depending on your elevation, the 6.5 CM can maintain enough velocity and energy to kill
Elk out to about 800 yards. We hunt at close to 10k ft. I still try and keep it within 600 yards and we haven't had a problem. Would I shoot one at 800 yards if the situation was good? You bet.

Depending on your elevation, the 6.5 CM can maintain enough velocity and energy to kill
Elk out to about 800 yards. We hunt at close to 10k ft. I still try and keep it within 600 yards and we haven't had a problem. Would I shoot one at 800 yards if the situation was good? You bet.
That's what I needed to hear! Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.