Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

6.5 Prc - Review

By John Johnston In October of 2017 Hornady announced the birth of a new cartridge, the 6.5 PRC. PRC stands for Precision Rifle Cartridge....
By ADMIN · Oct 9, 2018 ·
Rating:
4.58333/5,
  1. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

ADMIN submitted a new Article:

6.5 Prc - Review

Read more about this article here...

2. Feugo Jeuvo

Feugo Jeuvo Active Member

Good article. I bought the Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifles and it shoots both factory offerings very well. Gonna use it on coues deer. Sure wish I knew what Hornady's recipe for those 147 eldms is.

3. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Can a 6.5 Creedmoor chamber be opened up to this 6.5 Prc ?

4. Weatherby Fan

Weatherby Fan Well-Known Member

Yes if there’s enough shank on a barrel you can rechamber, but if your asking about the action ? bolt face is .473 on a CM and .532 on a PRC, some bolt faces can be opened up but best check with a gunsmith on both accounts.

Iron Worker likes this.
  5. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about a Bergara rifle ?

Tidus56 likes this.
  6. cheechin

cheechin Well-Known Member

I hear quite a few fellow PRS shooters talking about setting up rifles for the 6.5 PRC for next season. It is supposed to have very good barrel life (2000+), but that almost seems too good to be true. If it proves true, I'd be very interested in a 6mm version if I could get half that life with a 115.

Iron Worker likes this.
  7. jpope02

jpope02 Well-Known Member

1n 1966 Remington introduced the 6.5 Remington. 51 years later in 2017, Hornady introduced the 6.5 PRC which is virtually a ballistic copy of The obsolete ?? 6.5 Remington. I have been building, loading and loving rifles in 6.5 Rem Mag over 50 years and can honestly say is my "Favorite" rifle of All times. I have taken carabou and moose in Alaska to nelgai, aoudad, hogs and deer in Texas and Mexico and found it a very effective DRT offering. 1/4 moa groups using Berger vldh 140 and Hornady 143eldx's at 3100 fps are routein. I hope the PRC is as successful as the new 'DO ALL' target/hunting round of the future. Most likely the 'ol rem mag will fade into obscurity but hopefully Hornady will enjoy success with their "new" chambering. For me I have enough 6.5 Rem brass to last for the rest of my days. PS I am building both a PRC and a Rem Mag on Tikka actions at this time.......! I don't wont you guys to have all of the fun.

Phoeniceltic likes this.
  8. Winnie_64

Winnie_64 Member

Great article!

I think shooters are spoiled for choice when it comes to the 264 calibre these days.

It seems the US market is catching on to the popularity of the ‘little’ 6.5mm that has been enjoyed worldwide for some time.

Another great option that has been around for some time is the 6.5-284 Norma, identical performance and held the bench rest record (1.5”) at 1000yds And is well supported by both Norma and Lapua components.

Best of luck with the PRC.

Jack Deppen likes this.
  9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

10. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

Ruger is making a 6.5prc also

11. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

Browning jumping in also, nice to see it getting some foundation in the factory game.

Shootin4fun likes this.
  12. Phoeniceltic

Phoeniceltic Well-Known Member

do I NEED the PRC?

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  13. 11songdogs

11songdogs Member

Great article!

14. Shootin4fun

Shootin4fun Well-Known Member

Thanks for the informative knowledge base on this round. After starting with a 6.5CM a few years ago, I'm interested in a 6.5 with a little more oomph, just for the fun of it.

Interestingly though, nobody is very critical of the relatively poor ES and SD of the Hornady ammo. The see good 100 yard groups and call it a day. I am disappointed with hand loads that are over 10fps SD if using Lapua and 14fps with range found Hornady (without capacity sorting).