Help! deciding between .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor

Jdhollow

I am fairly new to the game. I already have a good .308 long range rifle, and I want to get into the 6.5 game. I am having difficulty deciding between a .260 Remington and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like to get the rifle with the most range, but am having trouble with the numbers. They appear to be too close to differentiate. Please help with opinion as well as facts on range, ease of shooting, availability of ammo, etc....

I can't tell you which one is better, but I can tell you what I've got/experienced. I have a .260 Rem with a 25" barrel. I shoot the 140 gr VLD Berger at 2750 fps. It's really accurate and doesn't seem like a hot load at all.

I have always liked the 260, lapua brass and other components pretty available. I don't know that I would pick the 6.5 Creedmoor unless the deal was better than the 260

I am fairly new to the game. I already have a good .308 long range rifle, and I want to get into the 6.5 game. I am having difficulty deciding between a .260 Remington and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like to get the rifle with the most range, but am having trouble with the numbers. They appear to be too close to differentiate. Please help with opinion as well as facts on range, ease of shooting, availability of ammo, etc....

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

You're right they are so closed to each but I give the edge to the 6.5 CM for factory rifle and factory ammo. AI the .260 and handload for it and will jump back up on the lead. :cool:

Another consideration is the 6.5x55 Swede, it's been around longer than our venerable .30-06 and still going strong.

The considerations for choosing which 6.5/260 non-magnum is not about accuracy as they are all accurate.

6.5x47 Lapua
6.5 Creedmoor
260 Remington

Accuracy same for all
Velocity so close it doesn't matter

#1 consideration, magazine feed or single feed.
If magazine feed required, go with Creedmoor or Lapua.

After than, what ever floats your boat.

I went with 260.

...Accuracy same for all...Velocity so close it doesn't matter
........After than, what ever floats your boat.............I went with 260........

If you're looking at factory rifles find the rifle that suits you best, if custom go with whatever reamer your builder has available.

I've got a .260, the Tikka T3 CTR works well with hand loads, or the Applied Ballistic 130 grain Berger Match AR Hybrid OTM Tactical loaded ammo.

An example of outside factors shaping the decision is the price of additional or replacement magazines in Tikka rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.