Vintage German firearm not his style...

TexasSportsman

I previously worked in my LGS as salesman. Its where I bought my first rifle, Remington ADL 700 .30-06 w/Leupold 3-9x40 VX-III.

During my time there I learned to appraise firearms that customers want to sell outright or trade in for something else.

A man named John came into the store with a few guns to sell. What he had were typical, an old Rem deer rifle, a lever action Marlin, a Remington shotgun. One rifle he had was not so easily identifiable. I started the research on the Blue Book of Gun Values. It wasn't in there. Through the internet I found it to be a German made small bore target rifle. It had a beautiful wood stock and very fine finish. I don't recall the name. All I could find were auction values well into the low 10s thousands.

John said it belonged to his uncle who recently passed away. I couldn't believe that he was about to rid himself of such a fine rifle. During our conversation he shared his uncle's love of target shooting and hunting. How his uncle taught him to shoot, hunt and field dress game. I asked him why he wanted to get rid of such a fine rifle. He said it wasn't his style. SMH.

I asked what his uncle left to other relatives. He mentioned some got cash, another a car but he inherited all the guns. I to John mentioned that his uncle left him the guns because he wanted him to get the same enjoyment out of them as he did. I told John that his uncle could have given those guns to anyone else but chose him because he's the only one who would enjoy them as much as he did and because of how much time he spent with his uncle out in the field.

John asked me if I was trying to make him feel guilty. I said I was. We bought the other guns and he kept the German rifle. A few weeks later John came back to the store. Since his last visit he researched the rifle and became very interested. The more he researched the more interested he became. He contacted a shooting club that uses the same and similar rifles made in Germany. He found out that his uncle's rifle was most likely custom made for him. Once he took it to the range and shot a few round through it he understood his uncles attachment to the rifle.

He bought some cleaning supplies and on his way out and thanked me for making him feel guilting for thinking about selling the rifle. I said I was sure his uncle would be happy that he kept it too.

I have an old Remington 141 Gamemaster in .30 Remington. Its well worn and somewhat beat down from decades of use. My grandfather bought it used to replace his lever rifle and used it until he died in 2001. Dad got it when grandpa died and it was given to me just before my dad passed. That's the same rifle that feed my dad's family with all that venison that he learned to dislike so much.

Its part of my family history Grandpa putting meat on the table to feed his family. I'm sure my grandpa didn't spend as much time fussing over caliber, make, model, etc that we do today. Back then guns were tools no different than a saw, hammer or level and they used them. I'm sure it's not worth much even as a parts gun. To me its worth more than money in the bank.

If you or someone you know was remembered in a will or bequeathed items its because the family member thought enough of you to pass along what gave them enjoyment so that you could enjoy it as well. Far too often people run to eBay or elsewhere to see 'what I can get for this...' without considering why it was left to that person in the first place.

There are many more stories like this in many other gun stores, camera stores, etc. where items are coveted for their cash value alone. Imagine how my grandfather would have felt had he skipped a generation and given that rifle directly to me and I had sold it to a pawn shop for beer and gas money or let someone borrow it and that person damaged it beyond repair.

I'd hate for my grandfather to feel any disappointment for something like that. Even though I inherited it after he passed I'll take care of it as if he patted me on my back while he gave it directly to me.

Attachments

• Model_141.jpg
    Model_141.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: