He said not to shoot his steel

ss7mm

Friend that owns the land where we (my shooting/hunting buddy and I) shoot short range locally put up some new steel from 100-500 yards. He asked us not to shoot his steel until he at least had a chance to get off a few rounds. He felt the 500 yard gong was kind of a joke as he didn't think he or his friend would ever hit it much.

We didn't shoot it, the day he asked us not to. Then.........he went camping and we went shooting.:);):) He'd even put a kind of smiley face on the 500 yard gong. Smaller craters are with 270 AM and 140 grain Accubonds. The through holes are from my 7mm AM with 200 grain Wildcats. I'd been doing some load testing at 300 and had 2 sighters left. Gun wasn't sighted in but I kinda knew where it was at 300 and where it would be close at 500. First one made lower hole. Raised up accordingly and put second hole in it.

Sure hope he's not too unhappy with ol smiley when he sees him.

DSC01544Medium.jpg

DSC01545Medium.jpg

ss7mm, the 7mm Allen Mag is impressive to say the least. It went through that steel like a knife through warm butter.

Wildcat

He said don't shoot it and what aya do!! go an put holes right through it LOL He aint gonna be impressed with you LOL

Whats you welding like?????

I gotta say tho' the 7mm AM sure is impressive, I wonder what its performance AKA punching holes through steel at longer distances???

Whilst he's away perhaps is now a good time to try ;-)

He said don't shoot it and what aya do!! go an put holes right through it LOL He aint gonna be impressed with you LOL

Whats you welding like?????

I gotta say tho' the 7mm AM sure is impressive, I wonder what its performance AKA punching holes through steel at longer distances is like???

Whilst he's away perhaps is now a good time to try ;-)

Funny story. Good shooting too.

Maybe you should have your buddy shoot the gong with your 7mmAM befor he goes down range.

JD338

That was an incredibly thoughtful and considerate thing to do. Now every time he's shooting at that gong and he gets no WHACK he can simply claim he put that one right through the hole.:D:D He'll never miss again, very thoughtful indeed.

Chris

We were just trying to be helpful and finish the face. We gave him kind of a moustache and I also gave him a right nostril. Maybe a little touchup on the moustache and a left nostril next time and he'll be complete.:):)

About a year ago my buddy and I were doing some shooting at 300 and he had just put up the new gong at 300. I'd holed it once and said I wouldn't shoot it again that close but my buddy said to shoot it in line with where the chains are attached and see if it would swing different. I did.......and it did........about 15' back and up the hill behind it. Ripped both chains right off because it couldn't swing like it does on a normal, lower hit.;) I do know that wasn't a good idea because we had to pack it out and get it fixed, which isn't that big a deal. We just dropped it off at their shop and they welded it up and put it back out there for us.:)

We can back up to 750 yards but can't for now as some workers are in there and they get a little worried with 200 grain Wildcats flying around.:eek::D

500 is nothing to those gun. Just check these craters on a 3/4" steel made by a lowly 308 at 535 yards. But then again the bullet is the notorious 155 grain Scenar.

Picture037.jpg

LOL, I guess you guys must have some sort of understanding. . . I'd be disappointed in my guests if they shot up something I asked them not to shoot at . . .

Anyway, that Smiley must be cold/hot-rolled sheet steel . . . almost anything "high velocity" will likely burn right through that stuff . . . I'd bet a Hornet would drive one through at close range . . .

T-1 is usually considered bare minimum for steel targets, and AR-500 is much better. Even with AR-500, those "notorious Scenars" (empty nose cone makes a shape charge?) still leave a pockmark, as will a .223 or similar at closer ranges, but the normal rifle rounds simply vaporize upon hitting it. Even a .338 Lapua does not permanently damage my 3/8" AR-500 targets from 500 or so on out. It knocks flakes of paint off the back, but the metal springs back with no real damage. After beating it awhile, it may take on a little bit of a bow or dish shape, but turning it around and shooting the back of it will bend it back again eventually.

Here are a few pieces of 3/8" thick AR-500 with multiple hits from 6.5-284, .308 and .300WinMag (210 Bergers) and no damage that a quick paint touch-up won't completely cure:

steel-Ar500-01.jpg

The center target is 3/4" piece of T-1 . . .

Steel-01.jpg

The bullets basically go to dust on the surface hardened plate, and our biggest fragments (within 1,000-1,100 yards) normally look like this:

Bullet-frags-01.jpg

Here is a piece of (softer) T-1, shot from the same range. You can see it's about "borderline" hardness, since some bullets left permanent craters while others just fragged:

steel-T1-01.jpg

All of these materials are substantially harder than cold-rolled or hot-rolled plate.

SS7mm,

Ya know you shouldn't be ticking potential customers off by swiss cheezing their gongs!!! :D

Mild steel plate and the AMs certainly do not play well together. He needs to get himself some AR500 plate. Much lighter and much better for gongs, pretty AM friendly as well.

Good shooting by the way.

Kirby Allen(50)

He said don't shoot his steel - Ha!

ss7mm,

Nice title to your thread! Gave me quite a chuckle... Good shoot'in.

Paul

SS7MM ID LIKE TO SEE A 169.5 vld rbbt in comparission to those...one day ill have my 270AM....but those Accubonds would put a hurtin on a 500 yard whitetail! Ive got a box and brass no gun yet.... yall gettin me fired up again!

I do have my food plots ready and ole faitful Sendero dialed up but im itchin for my AM!

And you did ok! id shoot a hole outa the center of my buds plates! just for the fun of it!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.