What UPS said

spladi

Maybe this info is old stuff for many of you, but it cleared up some notions I had about shipping guns via UPS and probably Fed X too. I wanted to ship my daughter two pistols as gifts to LA, Cali. Most all the UPS Stores in So. Central Pa. are not "Licensed to ship guns" only the Hub is according to the info from several UPS stores. I called the hub and got an automated answering service that kept repeating useless information unrelated to my questions. I figured to just pack the pistols up and take them to the hub to be shipped. Their hours of operation for walk ins were 4--7.
A hefty woman greeted me and was eager to help me but that's as far as it went. She asked what I was shipping and said that I needed an FFL from the dealer I was shipping them to. I could not just ship them to my daughter, and all guns have to be shipped to a dealer, even those that we hear can be shipped to ourselves in order to hunt. She said hunting lodges/ guides etc. must provide an FFL to receive guns via UPS.
How do I get an FFL from a California dealer? me in PA. My daughter easily got the FFL from the GS and emailed it to me, simple.
The process was easy now that I had the copy of the FFL. Bottom line is that paperwork needed to be done in California, in other words they had to be registered to my daughter at the rate of $55 + and a 10 day wait. I'm not sure how a lodge handles this, maybe just an in and out log in the acq. and dis. book.

One thing I learned an expensive lesson on is that handguns MUST be shipped overnight (Next day air). So, expect to pay a lot for shipping.

1660843986510.png

You got lucky because shipping to an FFL in CA can be tricky with things that are on the approved list or not.

You basically transferred ownership, which is just like selling them and that requires an FFL in the state of residence for handguns.

One thing I learned an expensive lesson on is that handguns MUST be shipped overnight (Next day air). So, expect to pay a lot for shipping.

View attachment 388199
Expensive yes but not too bad $63 which included $100 insurance....$1000 insurance was $17.30 more...........overnight, and it was delivered actually less than 24 hours.

Shipping handguns requires going from FFL to FFL. Can't ship private individual to FFL.
Not true.
(b) Where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law:
(i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector
(ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
I sent my Glock via UPS (Hub) to Glock USA. Because they had to replace the frame (new serial number) they had to ship it to a FFL (my LGS) and I had to go through the 10 day (Calif) background check to get my own firearm.

Recent Posts