VihtaVuori Powder Discussion

Jud96

I wanted to start this thread to discuss VihtaVuori powders, which I have next to no experience with. I recently bought 8lbs of N133 for my 6PPC, but I haven't even loaded any rounds with it yet. With the purchase of this 133, it got me thinking about other VV powders. In the past I have overlooked all VV powders simply because they were unknown to me and they were historically more expensive than Hodgdon and Alliant offerings. Nowadays Viht is often less or equal in price and a lot of the VV offerings, minus N555, N565, and 570, appear to be more available compared to the other brands. With that being said, how do the lesser used Vihta Vuori powders such as N135, N160, N165, N170, and N540, N550, and N560 fare compared to their more popular counterparts from Hodgdon and Alliant? I have read that newer lots of VV powders are supposed to be both temperature stable and have de-coppering agents in the powders. How temp stable are the Viht powders? I have done some research but I haven't found many reports on temp stability or many results with the above listed VV powders. Any input and data would be much appreciated. Feel free to report on your experiences with any VV powders or if you have directly compared them to other brand's offerings. Thank you!

At some point, the VV powders like N140 started to have copper fouling reducers added, and their temp stability improved.
VV is a little different in how they market and announce things like this, so I can only guess it was something like 8 years ago but I am not sure.

Their 100 series are all single base and their 500 series have nitroglycerin. To say that N140 and N133 are pretty well known is an understatement since those have been used by many competitors and NATO loadings for years. Their paper catalogue used to be pretty good about information in addition to the load data, but there is no easy way to share that here.

I will share a chart I found informative a few years ago. I will not vouch for it being in date, but since many of the ones shown for comparison don't tend to change often it is still interesting. Much of the temp stability data is built into programs like QuickLoad and GRT, so there is yet another reason to have one or both of those. The small column for temp stability factor is in units of fps/degree F.

I can't imagine someone won't try N133 at some point if they run 6PPC, so you will have your own opinion soon enough. N140 used to be almost as popular as Varget and RE15 in the same sports where those were run. These days, N555 is considered a pet load for the 284 WIN and the variants popular in F-Class.

1684865170574.png

The Viht powders are right up there with the Alliant RL series as far as "magic pixie dust" that will give you more speed than whatever you're loading with now.
Try 550 in anything 308 to 30-06 sized case and pick up 100-150fps. More time under the pressure curve.
From my experience N550 gives within a few fps of what RL17 will do.

N140 has been a dud for me in 308 WIN. Pressures out before desired velocity. N135 is doing great and temp insensitive. N165 is great in 243/243AI 115gr. N540 is a Varget substitute with only a .3 grain addition to the N540 to reach Varget velocities in 308 WIN.

Good to hear! Which ones are you trying?
N-140, N150, and N-550 in my 257AI. Most groups under 1" with 3 groups 1.1" - 1.5 "
Last week I tested N-150 in my 6xc under a Berger 87 gr HPBT. Largest group was .538" and smallest .163
More coming next week, testing N-135 and N-140 in 338 RCM with 175 HH

Last edited:
I have just started using N-133 in my Sako 6mm PPC USA. So far great. I have also used N-135 and N-140 in my 6mm BR. Both work good but so far N-135 has been best. I have also used N-135 and N-140 in my 22/250 with very good results. Where I live the Vih powders have been much easier to source than others so I am trying to rid myself of using Alliant powders and those Hodgdon ones that are hard to come by.

I used N150 off and on in my .308 with very good accuracy pushing 168 SMKs. Does pretty well. @Longtine88 talked me into N565 in the 7 SAUM and I'm going to give it a try. Picked up a couple pounds locally last week. It is usually on the shelves here lately, but it is still more money. Without the Hazmat it isn't too bad though.