Vias Muzzle brakes

Over the years I have sent 5 or 6 rifles to Ron B. for brakes. They reduce recoil and muzzle blast. My daughters Rem. 700 in 300 RUM with the VIAS break las less recoil that her Savage 110 in 270 with a "standard" brake. The last rifle I sent to VIAS they used the same thread that supressors use... They gave me the option. The customer service has been great and I will use them again.

I had a vais on my first 300 wm custom with a #3 contour. It worked great with no complaints but I don't shoot a lot of prone. I currently have another 300 wm with #3 contour and in my opinion the vias felt like less recoil than the current microbastard I'm using. That said, if you have a heavy enough barrel to accommodate them, their are better options available for controlling recoil and staying on target. Precision Rifle blog had a very detailed objective comparison of muzzles brakes about 3 years back that should help give you some ideas. The review did not include the vais but i suspect that is because they are not used much in PRS competition. If you are looking for a brake on a hunting rifle, the barrel contour may limit your choices and as noted above, some of the available options would limit your ability to use a suppressor in the future.
Its a heavy bbl .835 at muzzle.

For that heavy of a contour, i would consider APA little bastard. I have one on a heavy contour 300 WM and think its great. If you have smith install a gen 1 model they should be able to contour it to look nice, which is how mine was done. If you look up the Precision Rifle Blog write up, the APA brakes were rated among the top performers

For that heavy of a contour, i would consider APA little bastard. I have one on a heavy contour 300 WM and think its great. If you have smith install a gen 1 model they should be able to contour it to look nice, which is how mine was done. If you look up the Precision Rifle Blog write up, the APA brakes were rated among the top performers
Thanks but I already have it ,and paid a low price for it.

Any experience with Vias muzzle brakes

Iron Worker,
I have known George Vias for many years, the original Vias brake designer... he's now in Greece retired. His last and best muzzle brakes design(s) I believe were sold to a company by the name of Gentry??, don't quote me on that, and if you'd like to email George Vias and ask him yourself... email me off the post. He did some great work in muzzle brake development over the years that many copied and tried to improve on.. his last brake design I think is the gold standard for muzzle brakes even today. Cheer's

Last edited:
I HAVE MULTIPLE VIAS BRAKES ON MANY CALIBERS, FROM 375HH DOWN TO A 7RM
FELT RECOIL IS GOOD BUT THE REDUCTION IN NOISE IS GREAT, SO FOR A HUNTING BRAKE I DON''T THINK YOU CAN BEAT THEM, ALSO THE PEOPLE AT VIAS ARE GREAT TO DEAL WITH HAD A HART BARREL BUILT OCTAGON IN 7MM STW AND THEY CUSTOM MADE A BRAKE TO FIT THE OD AND SENT IT TO HART

My friend has built a dozen custom rifles of various cartridges. He used to swear by Vais but switched to Jp eliminator. I tried the JP eliminator on my 300 mag and 10 others. Some others are very good but none as good. Reduces recoil and muzzle rise. Better than m4-72. My 300 shoots like a light weight 223. Maybe that much. I can shoot it all day without flinching. The JP 3 port comp is excellent if you dont want a tank brake. These dont blow downward. I have videos on you tube if anyone is interested.

Iron Worker,
I have known George Vias for many years, the original Vias brake designer... he's now in Greece retired. His last and best muzzle brakes design(s) I believe were sold to a company by the name of Gentry??, don't quote me on that, and if you'd like to email George Vias and ask him yourself... email me off the post. He did some great work in muzzle brake development over the years that many copied and tried to improve on.. his last brake design I think is the gold standard for muzzle brakes even today. Cheer's

Ron Bartlett purchased the Vais Arms from George Vais in 1999 (http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/History.aspx), while it has close resemblance, it is not the same as the late David Gentry's quiet brake (https://gentrycustom.com/Products/QuietMuzzleBrake/tabid/6359/Default.aspx), "if" he's the Gentry (?) you are referring to.

Nathan's MBs (https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/) are not too shabby either, here's a couple of the video comparison with other MBs . I have his 4-port beast self-timing one.

I have a vais and other muzzle brakes. My observation is that you end up with trade offs. More effective brakes have more percussion coming back toward the shooter. They can be stupid loud. The vais is moderately effective and is more reasonable with decibel increases. I consider it a balanced approach with good looks. It does fall victim to decreased performance when the overall diameter is reduced to closely match the barrel contour.
I recently started shooting a brake from pierce engineering and find it very effective, but also much louder.

Ron Bartlett purchased the Vais Arms from George Vais in 1999 (http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/History.aspx), while it has close resemblance, it is not the same as the late David Gentry's quiet brake (https://gentrycustom.com/Products/QuietMuzzleBrake/tabid/6359/Default.aspx), "if" he's the Gentry (?) you are referring to.

Feenix,
Yes, I am aware of the sale of Vais's business to Mr. Bartlett when Vias went back to Greece the first time with health issues, and on the disagreement that both had on his return, which is between them. I thought the name was Gentry out of Texas, it could have been Gentry out of MT that sounds about right as I remember, but... it's been a while back, they... or whoever bought the brake design, bought only patents from Vias's before he returned to Greece to stay. I know that he had a Suppressor manufacturing business in Boise by the name of HTG silencer, that'..., from what I understand is where he developed the newer quieter muzzle brakes designs, through some other shop, do to the Bartel agreement. I'll check with Vais as to where his design went, I sure think it was the Gentry Company, or perhaps not... I'll let you know. Here's a couple of the brake designs. .50 Cal down to .22 cal. Cheers.

Muzzlebrake  TRAS cat 009.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.