Vias Muzzle brakes

My cousin has one on a .300 RUM that has a #4 contour Brux barrel. It definitely lowers recoil, but it doesn't seem as affective as the 3 port side exit baffle brakes that I use. It also kicks up dirt and dust off the ground ,when shooting prone, because of the bottom ports.

Lots of experience with them, I have found they are not near as effective reducing recoil compared to a side discharge brake.

They also tend to blast dirt/debris in your face when lying prone in the dirt.

I have switched every gun over to side discharge brakes and not looked back.

The vais are nice in the fact you can have them turned down to match the barrel contour-beyond that I really don't have a use for them!

I had 2 of them on my first 2 full custom rifles a 6.5 creedmore and a 338 lapua. I liked them. The only issue I had with them is that they come in an odd thread 1/2 32 and 9/16 32 . When I got my suppressors it kinda sucked having to rethread my barrels.Luckly I wanted the barrels cut down a bit to compensate for the added suppressor length.

They may not produce the maximum amount of recoil reduction but they look a heck of a lot better then many other brakes when properly fitted and barrel contour matched. I put one on a 6.5 Creed that already had a threaded bbl and am very pleased with it. But my goal was never to achieve the maximum amount of reduction. Sometimes aesthetics play an important role in the decision making process.

I have one on a 300 RUM. As said above they are aesthetically pleasing. Don't quite give the recoil reduction of a side discharge brake though. But they give more than enough. They will also not blow your eardrums out of your rear orifice.

For prone, I just lay a small folded tarp or something down in front. I don't mind no tap or anything when shooting game as it's usually a one shot deal. IMO for a rifle not shot prone, they would be great.

I'm having it installed on a heavy barreled 257 WBY . I won't be shooting rifle in the prone position.

An effective muzzle brake design serves two purpose; reduction in recoil and muzzle rise. The best designs do not have holes all around to help mitigate the muzzle rise. Most of my muzzle brakes have 2-4 side discharge ports and some holes on top but none at the bottom. You have far better choices to include self-indexing muzzle brakes but the decision ultimately rest on you.

I have one and I believe they are a good compromise for a hunting rifle. It makes my 338 edge very pleasant to shoot. It usually does not blow to much crap up in a one shot hunting situation shooting prone. It's when you fire multiple times from same location.

My friends and I have been buying clamp on muzzle breaks from Witt machine and tool. If you want recoil reduction these are awesome and they look bad ***! I own eight of them and love them all. I have them on .243 up to 300 rum no dirt in your face 50% reduced lift and recoil.

I had a vais on my first 300 wm custom with a #3 contour. It worked great with no complaints but I don't shoot a lot of prone. I currently have another 300 wm with #3 contour and in my opinion the vias felt like less recoil than the current microbastard I'm using. That said, if you have a heavy enough barrel to accommodate them, their are better options available for controlling recoil and staying on target. Precision Rifle blog had a very detailed objective comparison of muzzles brakes about 3 years back that should help give you some ideas. The review did not include the vais but i suspect that is because they are not used much in PRS competition. If you are looking for a brake on a hunting rifle, the barrel contour may limit your choices and as noted above, some of the available options would limit your ability to use a suppressor in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.