Vias Brake

Andrew in NY

New to LR shooting here, thinking about a nice custom rifle, and like the look of a Vias Brake to finish it off. How are they for something in a big 30, like a 300 RUM?

Thank you

I have Vais brakes on a 300 RUM as well as a 338 wildcat based on a 416 Rigby case and love them. IMO, the Vais is the best brake on the market!

I have no doubt that Vais brakes are great brakes, in fact 1 of the best. My problem with them is the cost. I talked to them and it was going to cost me over $200 to get 1 installed plus the cost of shipping my gun to them. I contacted Gregg Slack of www.parrysgunsmithing.com and he sent me 1 in the mail that is very similiar to the Vais for $46. I had a break on my gun that I paid $180 for plus $75 for installation that I was not happy with. It was advertised as not being any louder that a non-braked agun and with 40 to 50 % recoil reduction. I have no problem with the noise claim even though I have no way to measure it. However it did not do much to reduce the recoil on my 300 WSM. I sent Kregg my old brake and he matched the threads and returned both brakes 2 days after he received my old 1. Kregg's brake had substantially more recoil reduction than the expensive 1 and it doesn't seem to be any louder to my ears although I have only shot it once as a test with out muffs. My brake is a smaller version of the super brake on Kregg's web site . The $46 also included bead blasing to match my bead blasted stainless barrell. There are many brakes out there, but paying a big price does not make them any better. Since I purchase mine , my uncle and a friend who shoots 1000 yd matches have also purchased this brake from Kress. Both are as happy with theirs as I am.

It sounds like you are paying full retail. A Vais brake from Brownell goes for 80-85 bucks (blue vs ss). My local gunsmith installs for around $50.00. Maybe prices are much higher in other areas?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.