Muzzle brakes...

The JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator works incredibly well for recoil reduction. It will really blow your mind. Its by far the most effecient brake i own. Also keeps the muzzle of the rifle very flat. No muzzle jump.

Ive never used them (yet) but JE Customs on this forum markets his own brakes as well. Sounds like he has done a lot of research and has a good product. Maybe someone else can share real world experience with one of his brakes?

If you will ever be shooting the rifle off hand, you might want to consider a smaller lighter weight brake. None of them weigh a ton, but it does put the weight at the end of your barrel so you can tell the difference between the large brakes and mini brakes. Small brakes will still get you a decent amount of recoil reduction.

Hope this helps!

Some rifles will make you not want to shoot them without a brake. My 300 Weatherby shooting 208's was just unpleasant to shoot. I added a brake and now it feels like a really loud .243. I won't own another rifle from 30-06 and up without a brake.

Are some of these brakes really able to reduce recoil that much? Some companies state 85% reduction where a 300 kicks like a 243?

12/6/14 60* brake with four slots angled at about 15 1/2 degrees with threads thread on both ends.

Brakes WORK! Over the years I made a few brakes to play with. Someone suggested I make one with angled slots threaded on both ends. Here are the data.

Today I used the Weatherby Mark V ultralight six lug action without the scope. It has a Pac-Nor 26" barrel. The rifle weighs 5 lb 10oz. The load consisted of .270 Winchester cases necked down to .257 and blown out leaving about 3/16" neck. H4831 from WW2 @ 65.0 grains was ignited by a Federal 215 Magnum primer. The average velocity for the eighty-five grain G.S.Custom bullets was slightly over 3,800 feet per second. I fired three shots with each setup to verify the free recoil travel information generated.

Without a brake:
14 7/8"
14 5/16"
14 5/16"
Average - 14 ½"

With the brake installed so the ports angled toward the front:
4 5/8"
4 7/8"
4 7/8"
Average - 4 13/16"
reduction – 66.8%

With the brake installed so the ports angled toward the rear:
3"
3 ¼"
3 5/16"
Average - 3 3/16"
Reduction – 78%

Wildcater
What kind of break was that?

I hope this answers your question. The photo will show it is a piece of aluminum 1 1/4" bar I grabbed for the job. It has four .750" slots .125" apart cut with a 1/4" endmill and angled about 15 degrees.

Another time I did a different test. The test was to fire with a four slot brake and then cut off one slot. The temp was about 45 degrees and it was raining. The slide was wet. With no brake on the unscoped Savage .257 Wea (about five pounds thirteen ounces) the three shots slid the rifle 72 inches. The aluminum brake with four slots .800" long and .312" wide produced a travel on the wet slide to 12 9/16". I cut off the brake right in front of the third slot, leaving three slots, and fired the rifle three more times. The travel was 14 13/16". The forth slot did help.

Just for fun I stuck the Mauley .22 with the Tasco 6-24X40 on there. With Federal red boxes ammo it moved 5/32".

008_zpsb6a870b1.jpg

I don't dispute the hearing loss but you cannot just remove the brake at any time without changing the POI, it has to be re-sighted again. So it's either sight with it on or sight without it to hunt.

or get one you can close the ports on.

I tested a hunting rifle once. It was zeroed perfect at 100 yards with the brake on. When i took the brake off, it was barely on the paper taget at 100 yards. It was a 1ft x 1ft target, so POI shifted by over 5 inches. Thats really significant at only 100 yards.

Ive heard muzzle jump cant affect POI because the bullet has already left the barrel. But i have a hard time believing a 5 inch POI change was soley caused by chaged barrel harmonics.

I tested a hunting rifle once. It was zeroed perfect at 100 yards with the brake on. When i took the brake off, it was barely on the paper taget at 100 yards. It was a 1ft x 1ft target, so POI shifted by over 5 inches. Thats really significant at only 100 yards.

Ive heard muzzle jump cant affect POI because the bullet has already left the barrel. But i have a hard time believing a 5 inch POI change was soley caused by chaged barrel harmonics.

I can change them that much. just depends on how much the harmonics are changed. taking a pound or close to that off the end of the barrel I can see a 5 inch change in poi.

the adjustable brakes I've seen changed poi very little or not at all but I have only messed with 2 of them.

Yes, I've seen them on BOSS, Savage's AMB, Que AMB, and Brockman's. The bottom-line is sight the rifle in the configuration you are going to hunt with.
That's how I roll to ED. I wont even use bags because I never hunt with bags, it bipod for me.

Check out JE Custom website. The videos are great and very informative. Also lots of good reference material.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.