• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Very First APS 300 Raptor for sale

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

Let me give a bit of background on this wildcat. The Raptor wildcats are my latest adventure in a new wildcat family I will be offering from my shop to the public. The 300 Raptor is based on the 338 Excalibur parent case, necked down to 30 cal and shoulder moved forward to increase case capacity. Shoulder angle and body taper are the same as all its siblings in the ALLEN PRECISION wildcat families. Simply put, this is the largest capacity and performance 30 caliber magnum on the market that can be used in a conventional sized receiver.

The potential of this chambering is extreme. 200 gr Accubonds can be driven to nearly 3600 fps, 230 gr Berger Hybrids to 3350 fps and the 240 gr SMK to right at 3300 fps. These loads offered case life in excess of 6-7 firings per case and many of my test cases have over 8 firings on each case so they are not an overly hot load showing the potential of this big 30 cal.

To form brass its easy to load a properly necked down 338 Excalibur case loaded with an upper end load for the 30-378 Wby and fireformed cases come out perfectly formed.

Now some on the actual rifle. This rifle is the very first 300 Raptor even made. It was the rifle I used to do all my load development and ballistic testing of the 300 Raptor. Putting nearly 700 rounds through the rifle. Since all of this shooting was done off the bench, the rifle looks brand new. Still, this number of rounds from a chambering of this extreme performance is more then enough to produce some wear on the barrel.

As such, I pulled the original barrel, and replaced it with a brand new Lilja 1-9, 3 groove barrel in my custom Raptor LRSS contour with 30" finish length. Here are the specifics for the rifle:

Raptor LRSS Stainless receiver, single shot
20 moa full length stainless steel rail base triple pinned to receiver
Holland Comp recoil lug
Jewell trigger with top safety
Metal ADL trigger guard
Lilja Custom APS Raptor LRSS barrel contour with dual flute pattern
1-9 twist
3 groove rifling
Medium 3 port Painkiller muzzle brake
Bead Blast matte finish on barreled receiver
McMillan A-5 tactical stock 60% black, 40% red
Decelerator recoil pad
Thumbwheel adjustable Cheek Piece
Shim style adjustable LOP system
Standard Uncle Mike swivel studs, two on forend, one on toe
Custom APS pillar bedding
Nightforce 30mm Ultralight Tactical rings, (2 sets)
Nightforce 5.5-22x 50mm w/ NP-R1 reticle
Harris 9-13" Swivel base bipod with leg notches and pod-loc conversion
Custom Hornady 300 Raptor Loading die set(neck bushing FL sizing die)
140 pieces of brass (50 formed)
Load data
Barrel break in completed
62" cabelas bullet proof aluminum hard case
Shipping to your FFL

Some pics of the rifle
P2260063.jpg

P2260064.jpg

This picture shows the unique Raptor LRSS barrel contour with dual flute pattern.

P2260061.jpg

P2260062.jpg

THis picture shows alot of what makes the Raptor a Raptor, aggressive bolt fluting on a huge bolt, massively strong bolt handle, heavy tang for strength and stability and long receiver thread tenon for dramatic barrel support and increased bedding area. Over engineered in every way BY DESIGN!!!

This rifle is show room condition, Even better, barrel break in finished, a true turn key rifle ready to take out of the case and take to the field.

If someone were to call the shop today and order this package right now. The total price for the complete turn key system would be $9200 including barrel break in and load development.

I am asking $7500 for the complete package, that is 18% off new price for the highest performing 30 cal magnum on the market. Not only that, the very first 300 Raptor to come off the line.

With the 140 round of 338 Excalibur brass, this is enough to wear out the barrel if you use my recommended loads to get 6-8 firings per case.

I will also consider selling the rifle without scope, rings and bipod for a price of $5500 for rifle, dies, brass, hard case and shipping to your FFL holder.

The rifle showed a strong preference for the 240 gr SMK. Loaded to nearly 3300 fps, this bullet showed some amazing consistancy even out to 1500 yards. Easily able to meet my 1/2 moa accuracy potential requirement at long range. The last accuracy test I did with this rifle it put 6 shots, in two three shot strings into less then 4" at 1100 yards. Admittedly, the conditions were ideal but this big girl REALLY likes the big 240 gr SMK.

It shoots the 230 gr Bergers pretty well also but generally in the 3/4 to 1 moa range at ranges past 1000 yards. This is not the fault of the Berger bullet but likely because of the 3 groove rifling design which is very hard on all berger bullets. The heavier jacekted bullets shot better. The 200 gr Accubond shot well, better then the Berger bullets but not quite as consistant as the 240 gr SMK. This may simply have been because of its lower BC and being effected more by the conditions.

Anyway, these prices are relatively solid but always open to realistic offers. Not looking for any trades on this rifle. Only real reason for selling this rifle is because I am starting another test rifle based on the Armalite AR-50 to test my 458 Allen Magnum and 510 Maxium wildcats which are both based on the 50 BMG parent case. Looking to sell this rifle to fund that test platform.

If your interested send PMs or e-mails to [email protected]

Thanks for your time and as always, first come first serve.

Wow, Kirby. What a machine. Do you have any pics of the the 338 Excaliber cases next to your fireformed/loaded cases and also compared to say a 30-378 and a 300RUM, etc.? I'd like to see a side by side comparision. Might show some folks just how big a 300 this is.

Here is one pic for you of the 300 Raptor:

P9120032.jpg

Left to right: 300 Win Mag, 300 Allen Xpress(Based on 338 Lapua case), two 300 Raptor rounds, 338 Excalibur necked down to 30 cal ready for fireforming.

The Excalibur case holds slightly more powder then the 30-378 Wby so you can see with the shoulder relocation, case capacity advantage is quite significant over that chambering.

It makes my 300 Allen Xpress look pretty small and my 300 AX will match or exceed anything the 30-378 will do performance wise with same bullet in same barrel lengths.

If you don't mind me asking... whats the H20 cap of the new raptor case? does it gain or the 30-416 rigby?

thanks! Heck of a nice rig!!! what does it weigh in at?

I have not measured the exact H2O capacity but I have measured the volume using fine ball powder and the 300 Raptor case is exactly half way between the 300 Allen Xpress (Lapua) and the 338 Allen Magnum (408 Chey Tac).

The 30-416 Improved is nearly identical to the 30-378 wby in H2O capacity so I would think that the Raptor is well over that. Plus, a hell of alot easier to form and Rigby brass has never been known to take high pressures well.

Here are some better pics. This was when I was doing the original load testing and the rifle wore a Votex PST scope. It now has the upgraded Nightforce 5.5-22 with quad ring set up keeping things nice and secure.

P9150035-2.jpg

P9150034-2.jpg

P9150036-1.jpg

P9150037-1.jpg

P9150038-1.jpg

Weighed the rifle and was a bit suprised to be honest. Came in right at 16.5 lbs with NF scope and Harris bipod. Lighter then I was expecting.

Still no lightweight by any means but lighter then I expected.

If there is anyone from Idaho interested, this rifle system with a lighter scope such as a Leupold Mk 4 would make legal weight in Idaho. And again, I will sell rifle without optical package included if anyone is interested in that package.

Here is a little better picture to put into perspective what the 300 Raptor wildcat is when lined up with the other heavy hitters in this class.

P3190075.jpg

Left to Right: 338 Lapua Magnum, 300 RUM, 338-378 Wby Magum, 338 Kubla Kahn, 300 Raptor and finally the 338 Allen Magnum.

You can see that the 300 Raptor is far larger then any of the smaller conventional magnum cases. Its the same diameter as the 338-378 Wby but dramatically longer in case body length.

You can also see that the body length of the 300 Raptor is slightly longer then even the 408 Chey Tac based 338 Allen Magnum.

Just wanted to put things into perspective.