• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED APS Raptor LRSS in 338 Raptor for sale

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Hey guys, have a rifle that a customer traded back in that I want to post for sale. The customer wanted to do higher volume shooting so we decided a 338 Allen Xpress would be better for his needs.

This rifle is one of my Raptor LRSS (Long Range Shooting System) and has the following specs:

APS Raptor Match receiver, single shot
20 moa full length stainless steel rail base
Rail base quad pinned to receiver
Jewell trigger with top safety
Holland Comp recoil lug
Lilja custom Raptor LRSS contour barrel with dual flute pattern, stainless
30" finish length
1-10 twist
Medium Painkiller muzzle brake
Bead Blast matte finish on all metal surfaces
Full receiver pillar bedding
McMillan A-5 tactical stock with integral adjustable Cheek Piece
13.75" LOP
60% med grey, 40% light grey
1" decelerator recoil pad
Metal ADL style trigger guard
Custom 338 Raptor reloading die set
150 pieces of custom, 338 Raptor brass with correct headstamp(no fireforming needed)
Kalispel style aluminum hard case (can be changed to econo hard case)

Here are some pictures of the rifle, sorry, they are taken in the shop as its raining pretty good at the moment!!! Does not give the rifle its due but you get the idea, hell of a rifle system.

DSC00719_zpsd0b2b7d4.jpg

DSC00712_zps281991dd.jpg

DSC00716_zpsd9c1f012.jpg

DSC00723_zps63a4c557.jpg

DSC00721_zpsdee25124.jpg

Please go to the next post for more information on pricing and the new Raptor wildcat itself. Thanks.

A quick description of the new 338 Raptor itself. This project started a couple years ago. My goal was to design the ultimate long range chambering for use in my Raptor receiver. The limitation here was that the case had to be no larger then the 338 Lapua in head diameter. When I designed my Raptor receiver, I did so in a manner that would allow it to digest some very long rounds.

In talking with Bertram brass about the project, they agreed to build me the custom brass so there would be no fireforming needed. The case itself is the same diameter as a 338 Lapua in the case head, it is also the same length as a 408 Cheytac case at around 3.050" in case length so its VERY long. As its designed as a single shot, the case neck length is not excessive as I was looking to get as much powder behind the case as possible. In the pictures below, you will see that the case neck is VERY short in these pictures. That is not how the production brass turned out. The reason for this is because there was an issue with the original chambering reamers and needed to trim brass to this short neck length to work. This rifle has the correct neck length so the brass necks are much longer then what is in these pictures.

DSC00544_zpsb6bb8a89.jpg

Left to right, Standard 338 Lapua, 338 Raptor and 338 Allen Xpress(based on Lapua). All loaded with the Berger 300 gr Hybrid Gen 2.

DSC00541_zps6d4a3162.jpg

Left to right, 338 Raptor and 338 Allen Magnum. Both loaded with the 300 gr Berger Gen2. As you can see, the body length is a bit longer then even the Chey Tac based 338 Allen Magnum.

The performance goals were to split the difference between the 338 Allen Xpress and the huge 338 Allen Magnum. The 338 AX will on average get 2950-3000 fps with a 300 gr Berger in a 30" barrel length. The 338 Allen Magnum will get 3300 fps with same bullet in a 32" barrel length.

My accuracy load for the 338 Raptor in this rifle averaged 3120 fps or so using RL50 under the 300 gr Berger. Using powders such as US869 or the ultra slow burning surplus powders such as WC860 or WC872, this rifle will get you very close to 3200 fps but they are a bit more sensitive to temp changes. The Bertram brass did not turn out as hard in the case head as I would have liked to see but if loaded to my loads, you will get 5 to +8 firings per case easily. You may get some ejector rings on the case head but nothing dramatic, similar to top loads in Remington RUM brass.

The rifle has less then 100 rounds down the barrel and is fully broken in ready to go.

New price for this rifle package with dies, aluminum hard case, brass and shipping charges would normally be $7200. Since its technically a "SLIGHTLY" used rifle, I will take $500 off the package price so asking $6700. The rifle is really in new in box condition other then barrel break in, load development and drop chart testing. Price DOES NOT include optics, rings or bipod but we could add that in if wanted.

Since I bought this rifle back from the customer, I would also be willing to take 50% down now and have the balance paid within the next two months or you can pay in full and rifle will ship now.

Rifle has been tested and shot out to 2000 yards and is a hell of a performer!!

First come first serve as always but again, would be willing to split the total up if that would help out with payment. Interestingly enough, this is the first production 338 Raptor that will leave the shop so you would have THE FIRST 338 Raptor on the market.

I am not sure how many Raptors will be built as Bertram is now not all that interested in making my custom brass in lots smaller then 10,000 count orders but 150 rounds of 338 Raptor brass, loaded to my specs will certainly outlast this barrels life. I have fired my accuracy load over 10 times on a single case, yes at the end, the primer pockets are loosened and several ejector rings on the case head but there is no gas leakage and still holding primers. In the event down the road you do burn the barrel out, it would be a rather affordable option to rebarrel the rifle into something that has easy to get brass such as the 338 Lapua or my 338 Allen Xpress or ANYTHING with a Lapua head diameter. Generally for the price of an upper end factory varmint rifle, you could have a new 30" barrel installed and you would be up and running with a new rifle so while the future of the 338 Raptor may be a bit cloudy, the rifle could be rebarreled to many options if this barrel was in fact shot out with good use.

Right now, it looks like there will be 4-5 total 338 Raptor made for the time being, you could have the very first of a VERY Limited number of APS 338 Raptor rifles.

Thanks for the time.

Will take $200 off and drop it to $6500. That is not really just for the rifle, it included custom loading die set, 150 piece of fully formed, correct headstamped brass, shipping hard case and shipping/insurance charge to any FFL in lower 48. Will ship elsewhere but shipping charges will be a bit more.

Will also take 50% deposit with balance due within the next two months if that helps anyone out.

Kirby
ALLEN PRECISION

Price drop:

New price for package.......$7200

Original sale price.............$6700

New lower asking price......$6200

Again, this includes complete rifle in 338 Raptor, custom loading die set, 150 pieces of correct headstamped, fully formed brass, shipping hard case and shipping/insurance charges to your FFL.

Full $1000 off new order package price and this included barrel break in DONE and load developed.

Alright guys, need to move this rifle, $5800.

Pretty much getting free brass and free shipping at this price.

Not looking for trades but again, would be willing to take 1/2 now and the balance within 2 months. That would be $2900 now, $2900 within two months.

Someone will be getting a HELL of a deal on this rifle. I also have a 32" Lilja custom LRSS contour barrel blank sitting here as well which we could fit in 338 Lapua or 338 AX if the 338 Raptor chambering is spooking some of you that do not want to get into such a new wildcat chambering. Price would be different with these two chambering options but its a possibility. Just need to move this rifle soon.

Thanks