Very dirty 270 weatherby mag factory ammo.

tribb

Bought factory new mark v accumark 270 weatherby and 4 boxes of ammo to see which it likes best. Yes I can reload what ever I want!!!! But I have rifles In another weatherby caliber(257wby) and never needed to reload for it. I cleaned the new rifle clean no copper The Began my shooting. The problem is after the first three shots with 130 grain ttsx we ran out of time and went inside to clean the rifle. Grandson is my favorite shooting partner so he is helping me. Used ballistol first then copper remover. No bronze bore brushes ever none!!!! I don't use them. The first patch and 6 to 8 others were extremely dirty thick black gunk. Grandson says "looks like your cleaning a muzzleloader" Called Weatherby the lady says they have been loading this bullet in house for 2 years! Not Norma So my question is what can I reasonably expect weatherby to do about this problem for me. Tried calling them again left messages no return call.as yet it's been 5 days !!!! Thoughts please Tribb.

Last edited:
Id invest in some boretech eliminator and their pure copper cleaner and do a break in. If cleaning time doesnt improve id borescope it and decide from there

Was the rifle not shooting well?
Here's what went down I shot once adjusted scope shot again off by 3/4 inch grandson shoots once his bullet 1inch or less from mine. That's all we shot. He is a good shot so who knows?

Id invest in some boretech eliminator and their pure copper cleaner and do a break in. If cleaning time doesnt improve id borescope it and decide from there
Thanks will do that when my turkey hunters are done hunting

Yes . I cleaned it before shooting it

A new rifle bore may not be smooth. It's not what we expect from a new rifle, but it happens. This could be why it fouls more than you expect. The high velocity contributes to fouling.

Do a break-in, clean it well after every session and apply bore paste as the second step before final clean. After a few repeats like this it should polish up enough that it cleans in four or five patches.

A new rifle bore may not be smooth. It's not what we expect from a new rifle, but it happens. This could be why it fouls more than you expect. The high velocity contributes to fouling.

Do a break-in, clean it well after every session and apply bore paste as the second step before final clean. After a few repeats like this it should polish up enough that it cleans in four or five patches.
Thanks my first thought was the powder used was not the usual Norma powder and was just a really dirty burning powder.

I don't believe that Weatherby is at fault here. The more powder we burn for speed the dirtier the barrel wil be. It does not sound like the patches were blue so just burnt powder residue. Accuract sounds ok to but you will need to shoot it more. Let it cool between shots Weatherby's can get warm fast.

I have one too, mine is built on a S/S Model 70 action and I also found the factory ammo dirty. I ran the 150gr Spire Point for break in, and to get brass for reloading, the powder fouling was horrendous. Took hours to clean and this barrel is a hand lapped button rifled 416 stainless match barrel.
Copper fouling was virtually none, and still is, but that factory ammo was crazy stupid dirty. I run RE25 often and it isn't exactly clean, but nothing like that Weatherby ammo.
I think you'll just have clean often while shooting it.

Cheers.

I have one too, mine is built on a S/S Model 70 action and I also found the factory ammo dirty. I ran the 150gr Spire Point for break in, and to get brass for reloading, the powder fouling was horrendous. Took hours to clean and this barrel is a hand lapped button rifled 416 stainless match barrel.
Copper fouling was virtually none, and still is, but that factory ammo was crazy stupid dirty. I run RE25 often and it isn't exactly clean, but nothing like that Weatherby ammo.
I think you'll just have clean often while shooting it.

Cheers.
Yes I also use r25 it works well in my other calibers 7 rm and 257 wby. I think you're right

I don't believe that Weatherby is at fault here. The more powder we burn for speed the dirtier the barrel wil be. It does not sound like the patches were blue so just burnt powder residue. Accuract sounds ok to but you will need to shoot it more. Let it cool between shots Weatherby's can get warm fast.
WildBill Thanks for your help. Yes it's powder residue just never that much in my 257 wbyies. More shooting is definitely required. I'll post what I find when done. Got one turkey hunter left to find a bird for tomorrow! I still think they changed powders! Tribb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.