257 Weatherby factory ammo

For your 257 Roy go with a box of 115 BT. And a box of 110 accubonds. One of the two will shoot. I handload and use the 115 bt for every deer from 50 to over 500. Really impressed with that bullet. Took my Kansas buck at 80 yards and a few big doe at just over 500 this year. Very happy even when hitting bone. Gonna load up some 115 bergers next.

You don't use a sled? I guess I sure won't be dragging a sled out in the woods so be able to hit off the bipod makes sense. Sure is a lot less work on the home range for sure.

I use a Caldwell bag in front and usually sandbags in the rear when on the range. I then practice a variety of situations so that I'm ready in the field. However, we do also use a portable shooting bench for some practice too.

We do own a LeadSled, but I have not used it in years.

Practice like you hunt, hunt like you practiced.

The more experienced hunters know this, I learned it the hard way.

For accuracy testing I'm pretty much a bipod preferrer. Better bipods give better results.

Of course the best accuracy is probably a full bench rest setup. Got that too for those times when I want to do BR. I also have an FCS, I like it but don't use it that often. My buddy used a LeadSled but is now beyond that.

When you get the load down, practice like your are going to hunt. I practiced with a bipod but took it off for the hunt. POI was over a foot high for the first 3 missed shots. Put it back on and fine, bang, DRT.

When I had my 257 I used the 115 NBT and they shot great. I killed 2 antelope one just under 400 and one slightly over 400yrds. Both had pass through and only went about 10 yards. I shot another at 250 yrd and found the bullet under the off side hide. Bullet went through both sholders. the other 2 were lung shots through the ribs. The bullet had completely mushroomed out on the shoulder shot. With reloading for it I never was able to get 3400fps with H1000. The factory loads shot 1/2 moa at 100 yrds. Only issue was the price of the loads. Best reloads came from 7828ssc at around 3340fps. Still fast just not weatherby fast. good luck

My son is coming over Sunday and we are going shoot a box 115 NBT and 110 NAC.
Interested in performance of both.
Really like shoot the 257 over my 7 mm rem or 30-06gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.