Very dirty 270 weatherby mag factory ammo.

A new rifle bore may not be smooth. It's not what we expect from a new rifle, but it happens. This could be why it fouls more than you expect. The high velocity contributes to fouling.

Do a break-in, clean it well after every session and apply bore paste as the second step before final clean. After a few repeats like this it should polish up enough that it cleans in four or five patches.
Please explain bore paste. Thanks Tribb

Seems like part of the breaking in process. I just broke in a 204 that had powder fouling worse than any gun I had shot before. However, after shooting a shot, then cleaning for 4 rounds, it started to go way down. Next 8 rounds was less fouling than the first by well over half. That is why I like to break guns in. I bet if you do it, you'll see that go way down.

Please explain bore paste. Thanks Tribb

Bore paste is something like Iosso. It's a bore cleaner, that does a good job of removing anything in the barrel.

You only need a little bit at a time, gives a deeper clean than liquids can, and is good for removing the bits that stick to the rifling imperfections. Iosso cannot "wear" the rifling.

There are bore pastes that can smooth a very rough bore, as they have some fine abrasive in them, but in this case, just use something like Iosso for a few cleans, and see how it works out.

If you need to smooth the bore itself, there are products that can do it, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of good input if ask about it on this forum.

Seems like part of the breaking in process. I just broke in a 204 that had powder fouling worse than any gun I had shot before. However, after shooting a shot, then cleaning for 4 rounds, it started to go way down. Next 8 rounds was less fouling than the first by well over half. That is why I like to break guns in. I bet if you do it, you'll see that go way down.
Thanks

Roger that

So you clean it every couple shots while breaking it in with factory ammo. I do that with every acquired rifle, new or used. What you end up with is burnished/polished lands and groves and a barrel that is less likely to copper foul. Then when you reload, you can of course pick a powder that burns cleaner. Maybe even add a factory crimp ( Lee Factory Crimp die) to keep the powder burn in the cartridge/chamber longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.