Velocity vs accuracy

N2TRKYS

How much velocity would you give up for good accuracy?

I've got a load for my 7 SAUM and 160 grain Accubonds, but it's only 2835 fps. A 3 shot 100 yard group is the size of a penny. This is a hunting load and 300 yards is a long shot for me.

FWIW, the rifle is a Remington Model Seven with the factory 22" barrel. SD of 5.0 and spread of 10.

We all struggle with this one. IMO, think about what the longest ethical shot you would take without any reservations. If the load is capable of delivering that level of accuracy every single time I'd say it's good to go. Otherwise you will need to shorten the distance. I'll leave you with this thought to ponder, you can't miss with sufficient enough velocity to convince a game animal to expire. Ever.

At 300 yards it's a wash...
If you want pinpoint precision for the shot go for accuracy.
If you want more energy go for a fast 1 Moa load.
I personally would go for precision just for the added confidence.

I've got a load for my 7 SAUM and 160 grain Accubonds, but it's only 2835 fps. A 3 shot 100 yard group is the size of a penny. This is a hunting load and 300 yards is a long shot for me.

FWIW, the rifle is a Remington Model Seven with the factory 22" barrel. SD of 5.0 and spread of 10.

Look at the energy @ 400 yards (25% more than you intend to shoot) and that will tell you the capabilities of the round with a 25% safety factor on game.

If you are well over the recommended energy for the game, Accuracy is more important.

A 160 grain bullet @ 2835 Is not a wuss load.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I see a lot of discussions of velocity vs accuracy. The consensus is to treat those two variables as tradeoffs to one another. The reality is that velocity and accuracy are interdependent. One is not achieved by sacrificing the other.

With a given powder, bullet, and barrel length, the relevant questions are:

From minimum to maximum powder charge, where do the accuracy nodes fall in the velocity spectrum?

What is the highest node I can reach within safe pressure limits?

So often I see people state that they chose a lower powder charge because their groups opened when the powder charge was increased. Unless they have worked all the way to max, without finding another accurate powder charge, this is a mistake.

Accuracy nodes with any combination are defined by a velocity range. To maintain accuracy, velocity must be kept in a certain range. Thus, velocity is CRITICAL to accuracy. Thorough load development will show what velocity range is required to achieve accuracy. Different combinations will place that velocity range further from or nearer to max.

Your load is not that far from max per Nosler's latest handbook and it is good to 780 yards before it drops to min velocity (for proper expansion) of 1,800 fps with 1,157 ft lbs of energy. If it is accurate use it.

+1 benchracer
Further out(than 300yds) I consider accuracy more powerful -than delivered energy. But accuracy is tied to velocity in both a tune range, and in bullet BC, which affects wind drift, which is the devil in distance shooting.

This is what my 3 shot group looked like at 100 yards. That's plenty accurate enough for me and my hunting distances. Thanks guys for helping me settle on a load.

If 300 yds is your max shot, then put your load into a good ballistics program and check the drop, wind drift and energy at 300 yds. Then do the same thing with the velocity you think you would like. Compare the results.

I ran this load and compared it to one at 3000 fps. There was only about 1.5" difference in drop at 300 yds. Your load had 2013 ft.lbs. of energy while the 3000 fps load had 2277. Yours is more than adequate for most game. (for this comparison I assumed a G7 ballistic coefficient of .3 so results will vary slightly depending on the actual BC)

I consider the ethics involved as well. If you can place that round where you KNOW it will result in a quick kill that allows you to recover the animal, that is much preferable to a faster round that does not impact on point of aim and results in the animal running off and possibly not being recovered.

As Trnelson said, speed and energy are good only if they impact the animal. Personally, I will never sacrifice accuracy for speed. If I can't hit what I am aiming at then it does not matter how fast the bullet gets there or how much energy it has.

I will prioritize accuracy over velocity which, if traded off, is generally less the a 100FPS difference. As an example, my 6.5x284 at 2975FPS with a single digit ES produces consistent .2-.3MOA groups. At 3070FPS I'm at .4-.6MOA with twice the ES. Either load would work for my LRH needs but the confidence gained by the greater accuracy trumps that gained from the higher energy. I doubt the dozens of animals taken would felt the energy difference.

Rarely is your fastest load your most accurate so as long as I'm getting what I consider to be minimum accepted velocity for a give round along with good accuracy. Your barrel will also give better life shooting less than maximum loads.

I think critical to the accuracy versus velocity question is whether the shooter has a good range finder and is willing to use a turret scope and/or memorize drops.

If ones plan is to sight the gun in the old fashioned way, 3" high at 100, etc etc and just aim dead on out to 300 or so, then it is possible that the extra velocity might actually be more important that accuracy, as the shooter is not planning to correct for drop or wind.

On the other hand, for a shooter with a range finder, patience, decent memory and correct optics, then accuracy trumps velocity nearly always.....

Thats my take at least.....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.