Velocity loss?

Baffled321

I was at the gun store yesterday and the salesman told me I might as well go with 24in barrel for a 6.5 PRC since by then the powder is all burned anyway and beyond that length you'll start to lose velocity due to the extra friction in the barrel. It kinda makes sense but also goes against everything I though I knew. I didn't know enough to debate him lol. Is he right? If so what's the advantage of a 26in barrel? I see 24in is far more common.

What he said can be true for a 22LR... a new fancy long-barreled one with really old ammo maybe. But complete BS for a centerfire magnum 🤦‍♂️

Even the 22LR blurb is somewhat BS because old 22LRs (and even new match ones) are meant to be subsonic. And it's not all that hard to stick a subsonic in a barrel, I've done it in 9mm before. Thankfully never in a 300 BLK. But the goal in match 22LR is to stay subsonic because what's the point of shoving a heeled lead cone that's just a glorified ball supersonic and having it go nuts falling trans and sub sonic. Hypersonic 22LR rounds work great for shooting squirrels and armadillos and little critters at 25 yards, but in the 22 match world you want to start and stay sub-sonic. So there's really no need for very long barrels past a point because you don't even WANT them to go faster. Odds of sticking a 22LR are in the slim-to-none range because almost no one hand loads for them. I only know of a select few nut jobs in the rimfire ELR game that mess around with the Cutting Edge kits. Seems awesome, but I can buy a 500 round brick of Lapua and be perfectly happy at a much lower cost.

Back on topic. He's wrong. Any reasonable loading of a 6.5 PRC will gain velocity with more barrel length. There are tradeoffs for the added velocity gain with longer barrels in weight increase and the hassle of carrying a javelin through woods, but nothing in the 20-26" range is going to matter all that much. Longer barrels will be slightly faster, but if that small change in velocity is super duper critical just step up to a 7PRC or 300 PRC and get all that energy back - and then some.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 24" barrel, there's nothing wrong with a 20" barrel or a 26" barrel. Pick the one that fits what you want to do with the rifle, and be confident that it doesn't matter a whit unless you're trying to do very marginal things with it. I like long barrels so I shoot long barrels. But I also shoot very short barreled bolt action pistols now too, thanks to @Ernie getting me hooked on the XP platform.

If so what's the advantage of a 26in barrel? I see 24in is far more common.
About 30-75 FPS and nothing else. If it's a sporter metal barrel maybe more muzzle diameter to thread off of on the 24". Maybe slightly more rigid depending on the barrel taper. 22" is where some of the really light contour sporters max out at, but with so many carbon fiber barrels around now it's somewhat rare to see a pencil barrel on anything but a low-end model rifle.

Maybe those last few inches are where the leprechaun that makes PRCs and Creedmoor's shoot so well lives, I don't know 🤣

Last edited:
I was at the gun store yesterday and the salesman told me I might as well go with 24in barrel for a 6.5 PRC since by then the powder is all burned anyway and beyond that length you'll start to lose velocity due to the extra friction in the barrel. It kinda makes sense but also goes against everything I thought I knew. I didn't know enough to debate him lol. Is he right? If so what's the advantage of a 26in barrel? I see 24in is far more common.
Please don't believe the guy at the gun counter!

He's wrong, but people do overvalue the benefit of the extra barrel length imo.

Toss an estimate into a ballistics app for various lengths and see how much further 50-60 fps for 2 inches extends your range to your bullets range before it hits velocity limit. I bet it's not much.

Expanding propellent gas driving bullet from bore after powder is burned favor longer barrels.

About a 2% gain with a 26-inch barrel. 24-inch barrels are more popular than longer barrels and a small velocity loss is negligible for most applications. Most of my hi-vel rifles have 26-inch barrels.

Palma type competition .308W rifles commonly have 29-30 long barrels - velocity is important.

The long barreled rifles certainly have their place and some advantage. But, in a "carry rifle"used for hunting ….unless the hunting is guaranteed to be in open terrain. I firmly believe that once 26" is exceeded….the negatives outweigh the advantages! And I mean 26" including "can" or whatever other device one may add to the barrel!

As usual my opinion! memtb