Varget cartridge options

Not needing this to be super barrel friendly nor factory really. I am just wanting a fun plinker that utilizes these components and if I have to buy more at a later date so be it but I don't tend to hold onto a rifle that long most of the time anyhow.

So what would be the intended purpose of this rifle? Target shooting, hunting? 308 Winchester, 223 Remington, would both be great target rifles with it on the cheap and the barrel would last a long time, 6.5 x 47 Lapua is a stellar target rifle that excels with Varget good barrel length, expensive brass, but it's also a great medium game deer rifle. It's also an absolute varmint assassin. The brass is expensive for 6.5x47 Lapua but you will get 15 to 20 firings on a case. It's the most efficient cartridge I've ever owned.
Very true. I always ran RL-15 in mine but Varget is always good to have on hand, regardless.

Don't think of just shooting the (5) #s you have.
If I was going to build a rifle that uses a cartridge to shoot up my current (5) #s of Varget - I would try my best to purchase another (10) #s of Varget to continue to shoot. (We did)
Varget is the Pixie Dust for the 6mm BR line so pick one of them with a GOOD Rig and have a great time shooting Fast, Flat. Farther!!!
Good luck and keep us updated.

308 win srp brass. 7mm-08 using same brass there is also 6.5x47 or 7mm saw with alpha 7mm saw brass or 308 srp brass You could also go with a 260 rem as well

So kinda on that same logic path myselfā€¦
I stockpiled Varget because my two primary systems love it. .308 with 175SMKs .223 with 69SMKs
I zig zag'ed around the different rabbit holes, I do have a 260AI and 243ā€¦ so I have touched the 6.5mm and 6mm slightly. But trying to optimize components into the next build

I was leaning heavy to the 6GT side, thinking about 243 or 243-30, a couple other 6mm ideasā€¦.. and had a conversation that sparked an old attitude, try and have more things that use the same components. And going from a 44gr charge on a 308 to 30gr throw in the GT is almost like buy two get one free.

So I've kinda looked back at the 22 calibers and 30 calibersā€¦
I've always been a 30caliber guy. Have a pile of them that push projectiles from 110gr to 210gr. Might as well embrace the 22 end and grow that collection too. Building out a fast barreled 223 bolt gun and something else to kinda hit the top end of what's being offered. Have projectiles from 32grs to 77gr now, but there's some awesome stuff coming out in the 80/90 realm. Would be a fun adventure.
So as much as im kinda leaning 22GT, I've been pushed by the gunsmith to consider 22ARC as well.

Regarding the OP, I like Varget up and down the 308 family tree. 243, 260, 308 & 7mm08. I've used it in other calibers too but that group is my go-to.

This thread encompasses multiple reasons that I love this group. We not only share information regarding shooting & hunting but we add in free advice on what to tell the wife. Golden.

Recent Posts