Varget 175SMK, Exbal and the Cosign Angle Indicator

G

Had some quality range time today... tweeked my Varget load...

41.7 grs Varget 175 SMK...
I have the bullet seated to be .002 into the lands when chambered.

I avergaged 2605 fps...

100 yard 3 shot group... NO way was I gonna ruin it by shooting a 4th and 5th

P3214463.jpg

here's a 3 shot 600 yard group...

P3214465.jpg

I played with angles for about 50 rounds as well.. using the COSIGN ANGLE INDICATOR.

using the Exbal ( palm ) and the CAI.. I had 1st round hits from 300 to 1125 yards... simply amazing... I am pleased to say the least...

I guess I should say I do all my shooting prone from a bi-pod.. I don't do any shooting off a bench...

what configuration is your .308 ? factory custom????? groups look good to me...!

This 308 was Built by Chris Matthews... ( member here )

Rem 700
MCM A5
Mike Rock Barrel
Basically FUll Custom Tactical

Where is hole 2 and 3 at 100 yds? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Aren't you shooting at a 1000 yd range? why do you need the ACI? Its been a while since you posted some pics to point out the rest of our short comings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Once again nice shooting. I'm getting tired of saying that, I guess you will just have to teach me how its done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif By the way its nice to see you are improving and using smaller coins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ric: Fantastic. Great shooting. Were these fired from under the sagebrush in you latest Ghillie suit? Looks like you even got a new pen and some better targets for these groups. All kidding aside, that's about as good as it gets at those ranges from a bipod and your stomach.

Cowboy,

you get over this way and I'll show ya where I shoot...

100-600 berms and F-class targets.. then if you look onto the hill side we have some steel targets hidden.... 750, 850, 925, 1125.... and noy one at 1K exactly...

7mm...

yeah I'm very pleased... can't ask for more...

what kind of velocities are you getting ric?

i have been trying load work up using the same powder/bullet combo, but started at 44 grains up. i think i'll try around your load and see if i can improve on accuracy.

cheers

Nowler,

There were two accuracy nodes in my rifle...

one at 41.7 and one at 43.5 grs of varget....

because I seat into the lands the 41.7 is safer.. the pressure builds quick when you are in the lands.... keep in mind I am only .002 in but nevertheless I am in....

with the load of 41.7 I am at 2550fps ( COLD COLD days ) and 2600fps on WARM WARM days...

I can't bee the accuray of this load alot of guys would say it is too slow.. but speed isn't a big concern of mine in a 308 accuracy is where its at...

I dialed and doped out to 1125 yards and I had a hit first time every time in the calm winds in the am... inthe afternoon I had hits on the first shot under 700 yards... I had hits on the 1st o r second shot from 700+ to 1125 yards... I was practicing reading the wind...( not that easy here in Wyo...) especially the switching... first 300 yards left to right... out to 800 right to left.... at the target left to right... but I accumulated alot of good data...

Let me also clairify that I have tha A-trag system as well... and the Exbal and A-trag were neck and neck and spit out the same data.. I feel A-trag is easier in the field to use....

I wish I could say it was all me... but the rifle has something to do with it.....

P3234466.jpg

P3234467.jpg

thanks for the info ric

i had worked up to 27grains of varget but was getting fairly hefty pressure signs at this point. i'll try from 41 up to 44 and see what happens. i normally go 10 thou off the jam as a starting point....

thanks again

derek

Dr. John,

Eagle Stock Pack.... do a search... you'll find em...

OD green , black or tan....

thanks, I found a few sources on the web. one question though. when they describe it they say it will hold 308 cartridges securely. will they handle 300 RUM rounds?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.