USPS disgust….

Unfortunately, with the recently updated FedEx and UPS shipping policies, USPS and FedEx are really the only choices for a non-FFL holder to ship firearm components (NOT firearms).

The new UPS policy regarding firearms components is extremely onerous and darn near impossible to ship anything firearm related without an FFL and signed agreement with UPS.

Get caught by UPS shipping undisclosed firearm components without an FFL and signed agreement, you will be permanently banned from shipping anything via UPS.

FedEx is still accepting firearm components for non-FFL holders. But expect a lengthy delay at the counter as the FedEx employee calls the FedEx Help Desk to confirm they can accept your stock, barrel or component. Also, note that above a certain declared value, FedEx must inspect and pack your component in order to insure at the declared value.

As a few have already pointed out, none are perfect. And even at that I understand it can vary by area. However, in my area USPS is pretty much useless except for filling my mailbox with junk. I'm pretty sure they can't even find their own ******* to wipe and doubt they even try. But, I've never had a problem with UPS or Fedex. Not one.
Agreed. Every organization has its own atmosphere usually based on employee satisfaction. If the employees feel they are not appreciated by their boss, their performance will suffer. If you have a local post office that is troubling, elevate a complain to the Postmaster General or your congressman and get the management replaced. You'd be surprised how new management can turn an organization around.

So I used my local post office back on January 18th to ship a stock back to Mesa to open a barrel channel up. In the process USPS lost my stock. I have fought with them since the first part of February to either find it or reimburse me. After phone call after call after call and submitting a claim with the exact invoice and credit card statement they continued to deny my claim. Luckily I got a local postal worker to step in to see this through. Received a "reimbursement settlement" of HALF of my stock costs to replace! HALF! While half is better than nothing it still ****es me off to no end that they were responsible for the handling of my package to and from and THEY lost it! And I get is half of what my item is worth to replace! Just beware and spend a little extra on other carriers with your valuables!
the way in past anyway gold coins or even diamonds were shipped through the mail was using registered mail. all registered mail is signed for at every step along the way and normally locked up at every step.

I've personally never had an issue with claims from them, the few that I did have to put in were all less than $100 though. I had one that was $100 on the money and the post office went to cash the check and then temporarily declined thinking it was fraud. They did finally reimburse that one too. I am very confused why it was insured for $700 and they refunded less than half of that. I would fight them as long as it takes to get that taken care of. I always insure higher value stuff for the replacement value and add that into the claim. Every claim I have submitted has been online.

I had a problem with FedEx in the not-to-distant past. I purchased a computer from Dell and they shipped it via FedEx. I tracked it and everything looked good then I stayed home on delivery day so the porch pirates wouldn't get it. All day I waited and finally late afternoon I got an email notice of delivery only the computer was not delivered. I contacted FedEx and they insisted it had been delivered and even sent me a boiler plate 'Proof of Delivery' letter. Dell insisted it was delivered citing the proof of delivery letter and proceeded to charge my credit card. I had to get the local Sheriff office involved and send Dell the case number before they would remove the charges. FedEx never did admit they lost it. I re-ordered from Dell and the second computer was delivered as promised. Dell ships their products in boxes that say DELL on the sides in big blue letters. It is no wonder their boxes, and the products in them, never make it to their destination!

I had a problem with FedEx in the not-to-distant past. I purchased a computer from Dell and they shipped it via FedEx. I tracked it and everything looked good then I stayed home on delivery day so the porch pirates wouldn't get it. All day I waited and finally late afternoon I got an email notice of delivery only the computer was not delivered. I contacted FedEx and they insisted it had been delivered and even sent me a boiler plate 'Proof of Delivery' letter. Dell insisted it was delivered citing the proof of delivery letter and proceeded to charge my credit card. I had to get the local Sheriff office involved and send Dell the case number before they would remove the charges. FedEx never did admit they lost it. I re-ordered from Dell and the second computer was delivered as promised. Dell ships their products in boxes that say DELL on the sides in big blue letters. It is no wonder their boxes, and the products in them, never make it to their destination!
Same thing happened to me on an expensive watch I ordered for my grandson. About a month later a FedEx truck pulled up an the driver handed me a package explaining that my watch was delivered 11 miles from my house to a house with the same address but different road number. Fortunately to an honest person who gave it to that driver when he delivered to his work place which was a parts place. He gave me his first name and I drove there and thanked him.

Once ordered a steering wheel from a racing parts catalog. Sent those boys a postal money order but, the steering wheel didn't show up. CallD their office, lady goes never got the check. USPS gave a guy his money boom, right back. Ordered the steering wheel, over the phone , got it in a week. About 3 months later,Smiley's Racing called, said" hey we got ur money order, it was over at our old address. Told em that belongs to the US Post Office, figure they returnD it. USPS and UPS, good service about 98% of the time, FedEx a bit less, some of the time.

So I used my local post office back on January 18th to ship a stock back to Mesa to open a barrel channel up. In the process USPS lost my stock. I have fought with them since the first part of February to either find it or reimburse me. After phone call after call after call and submitting a claim with the exact invoice and credit card statement they continued to deny my claim. Luckily I got a local postal worker to step in to see this through. Received a "reimbursement settlement" of HALF of my stock costs to replace! HALF! While half is better than nothing it still ****es me off to no end that they were responsible for the handling of my package to and from and THEY lost it! And I get is half of what my item is worth to replace! Just beware and spend a little extra on other carriers with your valuables!
FedEx lost a helicopter firefighting bucket we purchased from another operator. The operator didn't want to jack up the cost to ship an 88lb big orange bag with the bucket in it. Without added insurance, FedEx will only cover $500 of a $23k purchase. Yes, always insure expensive items.

That sucks man! I do have a few legit questions; did you insure it and did they pay what it was insured for? Or did they just give you half the price you paid for it?

I will say that last year I had a barrel sent to me go missing for a couple/few months and couldn't be found. I filed an inquiry to no avail, then it just showed up one day after a local USPS worker put in an inquiry.🤷🏼‍♂️
I had an item that was shipped ups with a tracking number then handed off to USPS and sat at the same location for a week AND IT WAS LOST TOO. They don't give a hoot I even believe the employees steal items knowing they will never get caught!!!

I've read horror stories on this and other forums about all the major carriers and their failure to cover insurance claims.

I've decided not to insure any of my packages, but thankfully my firearm insurance covers losses due to shipping. Those that don't have firearm insurance should consider getting some. I got mine from Collectibles Insurance, and they were very reasonable.

Last edited:

The USPS is the very worst. It's a combination of federal employee + union. You can't expect anything good from either and little to no accountability. I've learned from past experiences to not trust the USPS with anything of value.

Unfortunately, with the recently updated FedEx and UPS shipping policies, USPS and FedEx are really the only choices for a non-FFL holder to ship firearm components (NOT firearms).

The new UPS policy regarding firearms components is extremely onerous and darn near impossible to ship anything firearm related without an FFL and signed agreement with UPS.

Get caught by UPS shipping undisclosed firearm components without an FFL and signed agreement, you will be permanently banned from shipping anything via UPS.

FedEx is still accepting firearm components for non-FFL holders. But expect a lengthy delay at the counter as the FedEx employee calls the FedEx Help Desk to confirm they can accept your stock, barrel or component. Also, note that above a certain declared value, FedEx must inspect and pack your component in order to insure at the declared value.
Just use fed ex ground. Fill out online, print label and have have fed ex pick it up at your home..avoid the desk, they are stupid

Just two words for USPS....

Affirmative Action

They have a legitimate excuse, this is what happens when you hire based on quotas instead of excellence .... and YOUR FEDERAL AND STATE GOVERNMENTS ARE FULL OF THEM. It, was to a lesser extent in the private sector, but the government has forced that up our a$$es too.