Shawn Carlock wins the USPSA Precision Rifle Nationals.

For those not fimiliar with United States Practical Shooting Association matches thet basicly run like this:
A course of fire is established with a number of targets and possible points. How the course is run is mostly up to you but certain targets must be shot from certain location. Most stages start with rifle loaded, any loading shooting and moving are done under time. The course is scored points minus penalties divided by your time. This years nationals had 4 stages all field course shoot and move type runs. I won 2 of the 4 stages outright, got 2nd and 11th on the others. The long range stage, shot out to 450 yards (not real long but definately challenging, the 238 yard target was only 3 inches from a simi stable position on a ramp), this was my best stage besting second place by just over 40 seconds. This was my first national title and was alot of fun. It is to bad more of the sight members don't shoot competitions (I know some do), it is great practice and a ton of fun.

[ QUOTE ]
)It is to bad more of the sight members don't shoot competitions (I know some do), it is great practice and a ton of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! I love shooting competitions. It's a lot of fun and I'm not serious about winning, I just go to have fun and learn. I've learned so much from shooting IDPA, IPSC, and long range rifle comps.

Congratulations again Shawn on your first National Win!!

Devin

Good shootin' Shawn!!! It always looks good when a smith does some impressive shooting w/the sticks he builds.

Kinda sucks for your and Kirby's customers though. We know if we get one of your rifles, we don't have any excuses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif!!!!

Congratulations Shawn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Trigger time pays off and you have proven that, again.

Great job Shawn CONGRADULATIONS............ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

hi Shawn
It must be like winning twice,winning with a stick you have built yourself.and as i understand it,It was the first time you have shot that comp.
truly amazing,and well done that man.
thanks
Colin

Thanks guys. Some notes from the competition:

Long range stage - due to the backgrounds to give target definition spotting your miss was impossible and everyone knew this going in. Most misses were due to windage, low hits you could here contacting the splash plate and high hits over 1' you could see. Alot of people could not read the wind or gusts that were full value 5-12 mph. Alot of people used the walkin method and dialed no wind held to the right and started moving over a plate windage until they hit it. For most this resulted in shooting at least 2 or 3 shots for every hit. Half of the field zeroed this course by not being able to hit more than 6 paltes of the 9 in under 300 seconds. I dialed in for the average wind (less the gusts) and fired 2 extra rounds for misses that were fired in a gust these missed shots I just held off for and shot before the wind changed. For multiple distances most dialed in for each distance. I picked a common zero 300 yards allowed me to hold dead on the most targets from the closest to mid range and used the NPR2 reticule to hold over for the rest quickly. Some of the misses came from people not getting into a good shooting position, the positions were difficult but some techniques/positions were better than others. I noticed several people coming completly out of position to run the bolt and waste time getting back into position to shoot again. 260 Rem, 243's w vld bullets, and 308 Win were the majaoriy of the calibers, a couplke of 223 Rem's and a 22-250 rounded out the field. There are alot of things to bring from this kind of competition back the the field, performance under preasure, getting equipment issues dialed in, learning what postions work and don't, learning how to setup to shoot multiple distances accurately and quickly, all of these things are bonus skills for the long range hunting rifleman. It goes without saying (you would think) that these are required skills for the tactical marksman.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.