Video Camera query **Shawn Carlock??**

Steve7mm08

I am just in the process of upgrading my video camera, I want to get some better footage of long range but also close in stuff.

My existing camera has 10x optical and has 3cccd technology, I feel a bit limited by the zoom.

Just wondering what you guys and Shawn are using??

It seems that with high zooms you get crap picture quality.

am now looking towards a Sony SR10E High definition with 15x optical

Any advice appreciated

Rgds, Steve

Find a high optical zoom, and stay away from the high digital zoom. The "crappy" image comes form the use of digital zoom. Optical zoom actually brings the image "closer", while the digital zoom blows up the existing image.....blow it up to far and you start to gat a pixxilated (sp)picture. Blurry. As far as holding the camera steady, which is critical in high zoom situations....you got me. It seems like any vibration caused by the driver, the wind, what ever.... , makes the image look like krap.

I know that I am probably stating the obvious. Hope that helps!

The high end ones top out at about 10x unless you want to go professional then your talking 2 ta 3 thousand. Shawn uses a pretty plain jvc if I remember correctly. The digital zoom sucks and the better the sensor the better the picture.

I have a canon GL2 that has a 10x Optical but it has other lenses i have a 2x and a 3x great pic going to sell for a great deal if you are interested

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.