Using Polarized or UV Lens Filters on Scopes?

DocB

Windsor, VA (but heading for the Rockies)
Question for the masses:

Does any one use polarized or UV lens filters on their scope objective lens? Would there be any advantage to using either of these other than keeping the objective lens clean?

Thanks for the input.

DocB

I have only experience using them with camera lenses. I have wondered the same thing. It makes sense to me.

Steve

Seems to me it would be doable. I've been looking at M52x0.75 filters which will fit the objective on my Horus Falcon. I've found a B+W clear and UV filter on the big A which also has threads on the outer side so mounting a threaded lens cover would also be possible. Discovered that the Swarvo 50mm lens cover is also a M52x0.75 thread and would be a nice match for the Horus Falcon scope.

I'm pretty sure there will be a slight bit of light transmission loss with the UV or polarized filter, but if used in normal bright light situations I would think the difference wouldn't be noticed.

DocB

Question for the masses:

Does any one use polarized or UV lens filters on their scope objective lens? Would there be any advantage to using either of these other than keeping the objective lens clean?

Thanks for the input.

DocB

Try it. You'll see why it dont work worth a damm. UV is one thing...polarizing another all together. You can stick a U filter on a scope and it may help you but leave the popularizing filter off.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts