Are you guys using moa or mil scopes

I don't really care what reticle i'm using, just adapt to the system. U can reticle-range or downrange zero with any multi-stadia reticle. As it turns out every reticle and turret system is based on a modification of the mil-ranging formula anyway for both downrange zeroing and rangefinding. Right now i'm using this TK Lee reticle on my coyote rig-- (4 MOA windage and 3 MOA vertical spacing). Killed a coyote 2 days ago at 557 yds. and had to aim 2.8 3 MOA subtension units down according to my calcs--

IMG_0778-1.jpg

Sandrat, do you like that IOR scope, that is the zoom range that would work well for me, the one I looked at was mil based, and had larger radius top turret, seems like it would be just a little faster to use also,mr8 reticle. There is a good article at snipershide on using mil based scope

I am trying to understand this better, currently have mildot reticle,w MOA,. From what I understand is, if you have a mil/mil, say you are 800 yrds away and you hit 2mil low 2 right that is what you adjust on scope, it matches. Doesnt really matter range, but follow impact for adjustment if it is a ffp scope. That seems easier than converting the mill distance of impact to inches(MOA)?

I know the tactical guys like using mil but what do the long range hunters like using??? Don't know if it matters but for the most part I will be using a LRF so my distances will be known and aside from long range hunting I will be using this scope for some mild matches and such. Thanks guys
I have extensively used MIL scopes when I was in the Army and MOA scopes as a police officer. Frankly there is little point in using the MIL because to accurately and more important, "Quickly" range or measure target size (like racks) you need to convert mils to moa anyway. (Mils were originall used for artillery and other indirect fire weapons.)
IE.. to find range, divide size (like an 18" body deer), by MOA and you have the range in 100's of yards. so a deer the measures 2.5 MOA equals 18/2.5 = 7.2 Range is 720 yards. One simple 5th grade math problem and you are done. Thats all there is to it. For MILs your do a 4 step complicated thing or use a mildot master or mini computer etc. .... Anyway, I like and trust the MOA more than the other methods.

There is no need to ever convert anything to inches or MOA, or use meters when using a Mil scope. Any ballistics program will give drop and drift vs YARDS in Mil or MOA, no different. Very few here actually range with their scopes so that point is mostly moot, but if you must you simply call it a .5 yard deer instead of an 18" deer and the math is not a single bit harder.

For those who want to enjoy the added capabilities of a FFP reticle, Mil has historically been the choice since only one company I know of has made FFP MOA reticles (USO) but everybody makes Mil. Vortex will be offering FFP MOA soon so that will give those who prefer MOA another affordable FFP choice.

Jon A, how do you like the 3-18x42 IOR scope, the one I SAW IS ffp, it is on my wish list, very interested in how you like it, and compared to?

I liked it a lot. I thought it was a fantastic scope until it broke. Then the next one and the next one.... My rifle delivers some pretty brutal recoil and those 3-18's obviously just weren't made for it.

They say the latest ones ("4th Gen") have largely redesigned internals and they claim they'll hold up to any recoil. But I don't feel I could personally endorse it for a heavy kicker until it has proven itself. What are you putting it on? If something that doesn't kick that much you'd probably be OK.

Jon A, PUTTINIG it on a340 WM, W/250 GR. It bucks a bit, sorry to hear the durabilty, really like the size , zoom, and mil/mil. BUT that is alot of bucks to have any guestions, what are you using now?

After that I went to a S&B PMII 3-12X50 and then a Premier 3-15X50 on that rifle, both without any issues. Both very fine scopes, as tough as you can get, with beautiful glass and all the stuff I like but also pretty darn expensive. Nightforce has a great rep for reliability for less money, though they don't offer some of the features I like.

I'm going to try the Viper PST 4-16X50 on that rifle for a while when it gets here and if I like it well enough I might use it instead of the Premier next season to knock a pound off the rifle. It's available in FFP and SFP and Mil and MOA so it should keep anybody happy. If the quality is there it'll save people a bunch of money too.

Of course the Razor 5-20X50 is available now and is closer in quality to the S&B and Premier but it might be a bit bigger and heavier than what you're looking for--though all of those are to some extent. It depends how you're going to use the rifle and how much size/weight you can stand.

Darrell Holland's ART reticle has both...the only thing I pay any bit of attention to is MOA.

Then I pay a whole lot of attention!

Wally

Jon A, I was leaning toward the IOR , BUT AFTER hearing your deal, Im looking at NXS 5 -22X50 MIL/MLR, zero stop. For 340 WM THAT I want to rebuild.

I recommend MIL on MIL to me it is much easer.

Nightforce, Premier, S&B, USO, and Zeiss / Hensoldt are some of the best scopes on the market. Leupold will soon have a 1/10mil RAD turret out to go with there MIL reticles.

Mike @ CS TACTICAL.com
CS Gunworks is now CS TACTICAL.com
www.cstactical.com
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.