Using lube while seating bullets

tlk

Was doing some reloadin gprocess review the other day and started thinkng about placing a smear of Imperial case sizing wax on the bullet or case mouth when seating. Noticed that Glen Zedicker (sp) suggested this in his book.

What are the facts about this practice vs leaving the inside of the case and bullet unlubed? What are your processes and what have you seen as far as results before and after?

I don't use imperial wax for anything. Just haven't gotten around to it.....

However, I am always leary about the potential for lubes getting in contact with powder. It doesn't seem like a good thing to happen.

If shooting the loads within hours I don't think lube on powder would make 'that much' difference. However if loads were to be used next season.......not good....

Proper, consistent neck tension or friction, if you will, can be achieved with no lube used during sizing or seating. If I lube for sizing its only with graphite.

I run a nylon brush into the case mouth with a drill motor and see no need for lube on the inside of the neck.....

Just my 2 cents.

I don't use imperial wax for anything. Just haven't gotten around to it.....

However, I am always leary about the potential for lubes getting in contact with powder. It doesn't seem like a good thing to happen

Proper, consistent neck tension or friction, if you will, can be achieved with no lube used during sizing or seating. If I lube for sizing its only with graphite.

+1 for not lubing the necks for loading.

Consistent neck tension is achieved by turning and thoroughly cleaning the neck inside and
if you lube the inside of the neck at best you would reduce neck tension and hurt consistency.

So in my opinion I would not lube the inside of the neck for loading.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.