Newb question: No case lube on seating bullets

SLCscottie

I am new to reloading and did not use case lube while seating the first 4 bullets into the brass case. I noticed two seemed to take more force with the press and had a slight abrasion or rough spot at the seam at the mouth of the case. (308 Win) I used steel wool to smooth the abrasion of the case. Now is there any risk in firing these two rounds or the other ones that did not have case lube?

I am new to reloading and did not use case lube while seating the first 4 bullets into the brass case. I noticed two seemed to take more force with the press and had a slight abrasion or rough spot at the seam at the mouth of the case. (308 Win) I used steel wool to smooth the abrasion of the case. Now is there any risk in firing these two rounds or the other ones that did not have case lube?

Never heard of using any wet?, case lube seating bullets. mabey a little dry graphite powder but not the same lube you use when you fl resize the outside of the case. Make sure you have debured inside and outside the neck before seating. But to answer your question , No it will not hurt to shoot them

hello,there is no need for jacked bullets to be lubed.only when useing lead only bullets.also what die did you use?a full length shouldn't have given you any trouble,but a neck might depending on the make [ bushing type ].and did you chamfer the inside of the necks.and never lube the neck area unless you use grafite or molly.just stabbing in the dark but alot of lube can make a resized case to be sived alittle different.check these things out and let use know.

Last edited:
Never heard of using any wet?, case lube seating bullets. mabey a little dry graphite powder but not the same lube you use when you fl resize the outside of the case. Make sure you have debured inside and outside the neck before seating. But to answer your question , No it will not hurt to shoot them

Did not check to see if they needed deburred, because the cases were the right length and did not need trimmed. They are once fired brass. NexT time I will check to be sure.

Thanks HARLEYRIDER

hello,there is no need for jacked bullets to be lubed.only when useing lead only bullets.also what die did you use?a full length shouldn't have given you any trouble,but a neck might depending on the make [ bushing type ].and did you chamfer the inside of the necks.and never lube the neck area unless you use grafite or molly.just stabbing in the dark but alot of lube can make a resized case to be sived alittle different.check these things out and let use know.

Hi Johnboy,

They are Sierra BTHP 168 grain. So jacketed bullets.

The New Die Set is a RCBS Full Length DIE SET .308
P/N: 15501 Group: A (what ever group A means)

Did I chamfer the inside of the necks? Only if the die did it. Otherwise I did not.

I am using RCBS Case Lube. I applied a little to neck inside and out with a dab on a Q-Tip. This was after the seating problem with the case.

Thanks for the follow-up gentlemen.

yea after I resize I check and see if they need trimming.if so then I deburr/chamfer the neck even if it didn't need trimming.a burr can even come from droping the case or something of that nature.and no more lube on the outside of the neck.

yea after I resize I check and see if they need trimming.if so then I deburr/chamfer the neck even if it didn't need trimming.a burr can even come from droping the case or something of that nature.and no more lube on the outside of the neck.

I will pick-up a deburring tool for the next round.

You shouldn't be having any problems seating your bullets without lube. If you are, something is not right. You DO NOT want case lube inside your neck during powder charging or bullet seating... not good for powder. As mentioned, use a deburring/champfering tool. You dont have to use it everytime if you dont trim, but you should use the first time and everytime you do trim. If you want consistant precision loads, you should probably be trimming after each firing.

Good shooting,

Mark

SLC,

Here's another thing to chomp on.

When preparing the cases for resizing, do not lube the inside of the neck. Chuck up a proper caliber nylon/brass brush in your drill and run it back an and forth a couple of times. It will smooth up the operation.

This operation would be after triming to length and chamfering with the new nifty tool you're gonna get.

If you wish to lube the out side of the neck which will also lube the inside is take a small dixie cup sized thinger, put a couple of inches of #7 1/2 or 8 shot in it and mix in a some graphite powder. Mix it up and twist the case neck in it.

It works, I use it, but some are a bit nervous about the graphite being kind of dirty. Got the process from an accepted authoritative rifle smith on here.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.