Use a Tablet for gps?

huntxtrm

Have any of you used a tablet for a gps in the woods? Out of cell phone range? I have heard tell of a few tablets capable of this? But i dont know which? Or if its even true? It would be awesome to have a tablet that could do that, and store your notes, and hunting pics, and look ay game cam pics? Etc.... Any ideas?

X, stick with the hand held GPS unit, they operate off satellite only. No cell service, no problem. The latest models have lots of new features. Good luck

Im going for a larger screen, one device that does multiple functions, camera, gps, files, maps, etcc. I have found a couple that claim to do the job. One is a "Spypoint" no reviews, but, it is a tablet geared directly for hunting. Cabelas has them. Your standard gps units are small screen, and not to mention the wallet rape invilved. Buy the gps, then if you want to use it get ready! Your gonna be buying maps! Done that! Done with that! Lol

Well, I took the leap! I ordered a geopad. I actually called the company, they say it does everything I want. we'll see? I will post my thoughts on it, for any who are interested, once I get it in hand.

Just an update for anyone that wants to know. Got my Geopad. Been foolin with it a lot. Downloaded Navionics, tried it out. Worked Awesome. Out of cell range and out of wifi range. Allready has offline maps on it. Take a little learning, but I'm getting the hang of it. I used these as well, in the Brazos river bottom fishing. No cell service, no wifi any where. Tracked me perfectly, topo map details where awesome. No I don't work for spypoint. Just never found a gadget like this before. Take pics, look at game cam cards, use it for road navigation, use it for off the grid navigation, use it for fishing navigation, store music on it, and play it in my truck! Aint even done yet! Need more battery life, is the only down fall so far. I will be investing in a back up battery. I'm going to give it a real test in Unit 79 Colorado, starting on the 7th of October. We'll see how it fares with that.

Thats cool. It is sn android. I need to post some pics of this thing in action. Is there a way to make an android tab screen shot?

Ok, back from Colorado. This think worked great. I used it in the mountains put about 30+ miles on my boots, and this unit. It worked great. I did buy a 10,000mah backup battery. I never had to use it. It has 3000mah battery built in it. GPS worked great. I am still learning all the features, and functions. But, it took me to where I needed to go. It does show altitude, locations, speed etc.... I also used "offline maps" app for turn by turn navigation in my truck to get to Pool Table Park from Cleburne, Texas. It worked very well also. No complaints so far. I also downloaded "Navionics" to it. I'll be trying that out soon, I hope.

Ok, back from Colorado. This think worked great. I used it in the mountains put about 30+ miles on my boots, and this unit. It worked great. I did buy a 10,000mah backup battery. I never had to use it. It has 3000mah battery built in it. GPS worked great. I am still learning all the features, and functions. But, it took me to where I needed to go. It does show altitude, locations, speed etc.... I also used "offline maps" app for turn by turn navigation in my truck to get to Pool Table Park from Cleburne, Texas. It worked very well also. No complaints so far. I also downloaded "Navionics" to it. I'll be trying that out soon, I hope.

Sounds interesting - Thanks for the report!

its a good all in one, if you ask me. I also have some shooting apps on it that calculate drop, wind drift, etc.... Going to set up and excel sheet for "Dope" and use it at the range. 200 bucks is a lot cheaper that the other gps only devices out there. I got 4' accuracy out of it, in the mountains. I'm not a salesman for them. But, this tablet is cool.... Allready got rid of 4 devices, and use one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.