Use a Tablet for gps?

Please take a minute or two and list again what device you bought and what you have added to it. I got confused.

It is a "GeoPad" made my Spypoint.... it is a tablet geared towards hunting. It is an Android tablet...

It came preinstalled with:
Offline Maps
Gamer Caller
Back Track
Google Play
Some hunting games
etc..... lots of other apps.

I installed:
Navionic
Easy MOA & Mil calculator
Offline maps for road navigation
Shooting Solution
etc...

Things that I have used it for.
1. Road navigation "Offline Maps" Worked great, turn by turn voice navigation.
2. Hunting navigation "Offline Maps", it is the app that came with it. You can down load multiple layers of Topo maps, terrain maps, road maps, etc... Worked awesome in unit 79 Colorado mountains... I put 30 miles plus on my boots and this device in the mountains there last week...Worked Awesome... Big screen loved it.
3. Email. I have it linked to my outlook account. Works great.
4. Pictures, it takes pics, reads pics. you can even look at your trail cam pics right on this device.
5. Plays music. I bought a mount for it for my truck... I can play music, and turn by turn navi throught my truck stereo.
6. Browses the internet.
etc.....
it's an andoid, so it runs android apps.

I think it's a pretty good do all...
1. I don't carry a gps anymore, this has true GPS built in it.
2. I don't have a gps in my truck anymore, this does it.
3. I don't carry a laptop, or card reader to my game camera anymore, this does it.
4. I don't have a usb chip in my trucks radio for music, this does it.
5. I don't need a gps on my boat anymore, this does it. (I'm not using it for offshore) just lake fishing.
6. I don't carry my laptop for emails, this does it.
7. Weather, does it.
8. Calender, does it.
9. Rifles "Dope" in there.

$199.00 Cabelas
I like it, that's my opinion. pics attached of some of the stuff it does. If you want me to try something on it, I will just ask.... There tech support is very helpful as well...
IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

Another option would be to get an external Bluetooth GPS receiver and an app called "Bluetooth GPS receiver" . the GPS is more accurate than the internal one on the tablet and you can use any tablet, if you don't want to buy a new one. Get offline maps and you're all set. Will even work with smartphone so you won't need cell service. They are small about 2x2 or so. A second d small ad vice I know but if someone already has a tablet...

That geopad sounds nice though.

Another option would be to get an external Bluetooth GPS receiver and an app called "Bluetooth GPS receiver" . the GPS is more accurate than the internal one on the tablet and you can use any tablet, if you don't want to buy a new one. Get offline maps and you're all set. Will even work with smartphone so you won't need cell service. They are small about 2x2 or so. A second d small ad vice I know but if someone already has a tablet...

That geopad sounds nice though.

one of my buddies has a Galaxy tab, we've been messing with. It seems to have internal gps also.. not just cell triangulation. I do know the geopad has internal "Real" GPS. It has an app called "GPS Test" on it. It shows you the number, position, and strength of the satelites, as they come into view.

I know its been a while since I have posted about this device. I got real busy. I took it to Colorado hunting last year, unit 79. Led me through the mountains over 40 miles on my boots. I did buy and 10,000mah external battery to throw in my back pack, for a little extra life. It worked very well.. I will say, I am very pleased with it. Large screen easy to read, very accurate. To within a couple of feet for me. Marked spots of interest very easily. I'll never buy a standard GPS again. This 200 dollar toy, has really paid off for me. I used it for road navigation, I have used it in my boat also with navionics. It is a all around cowboy, if you ask me.

You can use your iPhone or Samsung as a gps if you download the maps first to the phone then you don't need cell reception or wifi and from what I've read its every bit as good if not better than a stand alone gps.

Rob

I have an iPhone 5 and downloaded Gaia GPS. I used it for a week hunting in the Victorian high country with no cell signal, it was used in aeroplane mode with the location services turned on to save battery. It was very easy to use and pinpointed your location quicker than start up from being turned off, this was in dense forest with heavy cloud cover and rain. You need to download your maps before you head out. your photo's have location references, worked great with iPhone, would definitely recommend. Also have your ballistic app at your fingertips. Just seemed too easy apart from keeping device dry.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.